AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Onkyo SKS-HT500 speaker system which could be had for only $200 2 weeks ago at Circuit City.

(It's the same speaker system that comes with some of Onkyo's complete HT systems like the HT-S650)

CNET had a great review about it giving it a 'Editor's choice' award and an excellent rating (9/10) and since I needed a new speaker system I jumped on the occasion and bought them.

We are not audiophiles but both me and my wife really like how they sound, compared to our previous Bose Acoustimass 5 system (I feel pretty bad for having been a victim of Bose marketing propaganda for couple years ;-).

At $200, the Onkyos are a really great deal I think.

However, we find them not so good looking and a little big for our room.

Now I am considering returning them and getting the Acoustic Research HC6 instead. They are smaller, apparently look really nice and supposedly sound really good for the price ($400 shipped). I can't find any locally to listened to but most reviews are really good, specially the Perfect Vision one.

The CNET review of the HC6 is pretty bad though compared to the Onkyos one and I am concerned that I will not get as good a sound with the HC6 that I get with the Onkyos.

Given that I need to return the Onkyos within 30 days, it's unlikely that I can get the HC6 before I return the Onkyos to compare them.

so I'd rather be pretty sure before I order them (plus I wouldn't want to return something bought online).

Any advice on that ? I don't think I should be disappointed with the sound quality when going from the Onkyos to the HC6 but looking at the CNET review, I am not so sure.

Or if you have other HT speaker system (6 speakers) recommendation under $500 that would be better than the HC6 and Onkyos, that would be welcome too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.