AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using 5.1 speakers that came in a Sherwood HTIB set, together with a Dolby Prologic receiver, i bought on closeout 5 years ago. I think I paid about $285 for the whole package, just to give you an idea of the quality, since I don't know the model number.

I upgraded the receiver 3 years back to a Pioneer VSX-D509S, but I'm still suffering with the original speakers.

I'm now ready to upgrade my speakers, but with a very limited budget.

This week Circuit City is selling the Onkyo SKS-HT510 speaker system for $200. I know these speakers aren't the highest quality, but I'm wondering if they're a worthwhile upgrade over my current set.

Opinions please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Hah nope, I had some ONKYO HTS speakers, they suck. Save your money, get some budget large bookshelf speakers, they often sell some pretty good ones for 70-00 bucks a pair...

Run them in Stereo mode, will be better than the Onkyos in 5.1 channel mode.

Infinitys are excellent choices for HT, since their clarity is so good.

Maybe start with a center channel and 2 bookshelves, while moving 2 of your old Sherwoods to the back.

Then buy 2 of the same bookshelf speakers into the back.

Get a budget sub, maybe a Sony SA 500 for around 125 bucks :)

Just an opinion ...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I say buy em and try em. Circuit City has THE Best Return policy, so no worries there. They are definatly worth it, if $200 is your budget. I was planning on buying that sub(which normally costs $100 used) before I stumbled across the STF-2.

The speakers will definately be a 200% upgrade on your stereo. Sherwoods are pretty far down there. ESP, if you have tiny satelites.

Of course, they are not as good as a set of Athena's or anything point 5s. But for the price, there is no way you will find a better 6.1 Bookshelf system with a subwoofer included.

If you want to spend more money, I would say pick up a set of HSU Ventriliquest speakers for $600 with the STF-2 subwoofer.

BUT, if you are not looking to spend more than $400(infinity TSS450), I would say, get the Onkyo's.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The Onkyo subwoofer is actually "ok". But the speakers in my TV were easier to understand than the Onkyos ....

I at one point owned some "SoundDesign" surround speakers, they too, were not as clear as my TV speakers.

I found there are definitely some speakers that are not worth installing at *any* price.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Search circuit city's website. Look for the HTS760, and read the reviews. the HTS-760 includes the HTR-510 package.

My friend also has this system. Its is not bad at all. He got the 760 open box for $410. for the price it is unbeatable. Its not going to beat high end systems, but it will definately be better than a set of sherwood speakers.

Honestly, a best bet. Buy it and try it. If you dont feel its worth it.... bring it back. What do you ahve to lose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other question for all:

The Onkyo main speakers are 16 inches tall. Any problem with placing them horizaontally, rather than vertically?

Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Hmmm, I dont know much about your Pioneer. But the Amp that comes with the HTS760 is pretty good. 100X6+ 150W subwoofer. It also supports DTS-ES, and has 5 Svideo switching. I would say, only get that entire HTS-760 system, if you can find it open box for ~$400.

Else, you are much better off just buying the speakers for $200 and buying an amp later. $300 will buy a pretty decent amp in the future. You can also buy the HTR-510 from Vanns for $300 in the future.

if your amp suports dolby Digital 5.1 and has optical inputs, then you are fine for now. But if you dont have optical inputs, you may want to consider a new Amp.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I had the HTS760 package back when it was called the HTS-600 (very little difference from the current model, from what I can tell). The receiver model was called th HT-500, I believe.

The receiver was full featured, DTS, worked perfectly as advertized ... had a nice remote .. but had a very weak power supply. Some guy on another forum tested this receiver and found it really only put out about 30 RMS a channel.

The sub was by far the best part of the package, I actually kept that almost a year.

My beat-up (circa 1995) Infinity SL-20s bookshelf speakers sounded worlds better ( i bought them years ago, new for maybe 130 bucks, not exactly expensive hi-fi!), so I ditched the front, left and right Onkyos, and tried them in the rear instead, thinking, well they can at least handle the rear effects.

Well they muddied the sound of the rear effects and made the whole system sound worse, so i just left the rears unhooked until i could buy some competent speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been looking to spend around $500 on a decent home audio setup after adding a DLP projector to enjoy my Xbox games and DVD movies.

I just got a very good deal at CC...

The ONK HTS760 receiver/speaker combo that was mentioned in this thread was interesting to me. It's the highest rated system on CC's website. Nearly every CC employee buys this system when they save up the cash for a decent home theater setup. Various other sites illustrated that, basically, people were very, very happy with this setup. Probably not audiophile folks, but I think most everyone else who doesn't treat audio as a religion ;).

Well, I just got home with a ONK TXSR501 which I paid $237 for. It's better than the receiver that comes with the HTS760 package deal. I also got the speaker set that comes iwth the HTS760 (SKSHT510) for $189. I also threw in a Monster fiber optic cable to run from my Xbox's high definition optical out box to my new receiver for $14. Then I got 36 feet (probably about 40 feet because I was cool with the employee measuring the wire) of Monster 16 gauge high quality speaker wire which I plan on using to replace the ONK's bundled wire for $21.

All in all it came to $462, nearly $40 cheaper than the highly regarded $499 HTS760 bundle, and that includes the Monster fiber optic cable and about 40 feet of 16 gauge Monster speaker wire. I made out like a bandit!

This deal is sweet to me because I feel that I really maximized my quality-to-price ratio, something I always try to do. I know the subwoofer in my speaker kit is pretty damn good, and the receiver's very nice as well. Onkyo makes a lot of very high end components, which trickle down into the consumer-level low and mid range components. The subwoofer and receiver should both last me a long time.

Now it's time to set them up without waking up my roomate too often ;).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I guess I will pipe in here. I think the Onkyo speakers are a good bargain in my opinion. I did buy the HTIB system with the receiver model SR500. I wish now I had just waited for the SR501. I really could have used the 60hz bass crossover.... The speakers are in MY OPINION quite good. I thought they output the treble pretty good. Actually I thought the subwoofer was the weakest part of the system. Upgrading the subwoofer was the first thing I did. I really wanted deep impact bass without boominess..... When I did acquire a high end great set of left and right speakers. I actually used the Onkyo left speaker as my center channel for a while... If you look at it, the design is "perfect" for a center channel speaker; much better than the center channel included with the system. I don't think you can go wrong with this system at this price.... Sure you can do better, but that means you have to pay more.....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Hey, just an FYI. If you want the HTS760. Go to Circuit City, and have them do a price match to Comp USA(They have to call).

Comp USA has the HTS 760 for $450. Circuitcity has it for $600. So you will walk out of Circuit City for $435(after 110%)

Not a bad deal at all. AND you will get Circuit City's return policy(30 day no restocking vs 14 Day with a 15% restock)

This only matters if you want the reciever. If you cant afford the reciever now, I think you can find it for $250 down the line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rocckkstar, you have such a good bargain! Mind to share where and how did you get such price? Through price match? I'm interested to know from which store you are buying from...

I've been searching for 2 weeks to get an ~USD500 HT system...Onkyo 6.1 speakers as well as the TX-SR501 receiver is in my final list. When I'm about to shop for it at Circuit City, i came accross this thread and your message....please share...thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I bought the SKS-HT510 from CC. Paid $200 and had it shipped for free so I wouldn't need to bring the heavy box home myself. I hooked up the speakers last night and I was mighty disappointed.

Quite simply, they were awful. Very muffled sound, especially the center speaker. I had to turn up the receiver volume much louder than ever before. Only the sub was good. The other speakers were significantly worse than my cheap Sherwood HTIB speakers. And the Onkyo speakers are rather large too. My wife freaked out when I took them out of the box.

I put my old speakers back in place and the new ones are back in the box. I'll take it back to CC over the weekend.

I'll continue my search for 'cheap', but good, speakers. They probably don't really exist.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GarySE
Update:

I bought the SKS-HT510 from CC. Paid $200 and had it shipped for free so I wouldn't need to bring the heavy box home myself. I hooked up the speakers last night and I was mighty disappointed.

Quite simply, they were awful. Very muffled sound, especially the center speaker. I had to turn up the receiver volume much louder than ever before. Only the sub was good. The other speakers were significantly worse than my cheap Sherwood HTIB speakers. And the Onkyo speakers are rather large too. My wife freaked out when I took them out of the box.

I put my old speakers back in place and the new ones are back in the box. I'll take it back to CC over the weekend.

I'll continue my search for 'cheap', but good, speakers. They probably don't really exist.
I tried to warn you, honest I did! Nobody listens to me :(

Theres plenty of good cheap speakers, but you have to listen to them first. Hey that brand called HTD is talked about highly on this forum.

Also, look up Omage on this forum. And when you walk into these big box retailers, sometimes they will have these pairs of bookshelf speakers they are selling cheap, Ive had good luck with the genuine speaker manufacturers, like Infinity, JBL, etc. Stay away from the "electronics" manufacturers like Sony and such. Also, stay away from the HSU Ventriloquist system, only the center and the sub are any good. Also, keep an eye out for Best Buy deals on Athenas ..

Also, check your local used junk publications. I bought alot of my speakers from "The Recycler", used, but I could listen to them first.

Feel free to ignore this advice too, hah.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try heading on over to Best Buy and picking up the Athena Point 5 system for $299 (you may find 10% coupons for this weekend in some areas). It does NOT include a subwoofer, but this unit is an amazing value. A bit more than you wanted to spend but you are getting truly great speakers at that price. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I would stay away from most speakers with 4 inch drivers, they arent going to give you the mids you deserve. try to go with 5.25 inch at a minimum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.