AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Onkyo HT-R550 AV Receiver with four surround speakers and a center channel. Didn't come with the powered sub it was originally packaged with. I have an Onkyo SKW-330 passive subwoofer lying around, problem is powering it. Could I use one of the unused surround channels if I crossed it over low enough? Would I need an external low-pass crossover or is there one built into the sub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If your passive sub has a built-in crossover, then it will have a control that allows you to set the specific cutoff. My old passive sub (that I no longer have) was that way. If you have a subwoofer out on your receiver that allows you to control the cutoff, then you can route the line-out through another receiver or amp and then to the passive sub. Several individuals in this forum and in the receiver forum have done that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My receiver has a sub pre-out. I would prefer not to buy extra equipment but I will if have to. I am going to open up the sub and see if it has a built in crossover. It's possible that it has a fixed crossover frequency, isn't it? If not, could I just purchase an external crossover?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You might be able to purchase a very inexpensive receiver and use one channel to power your passive subwoofer. Although you can get external crossovers (see Parts Express), that can get more cumbersome (particularly if combined with an extra receiver).

At around $200, individuals in this forum like the BIC F12 and Premier Acoustic PA-120 subwoofers. Each is likely to be considerably better than your existing passive subwoofer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No built in crossover on this sub. Could someone point me out a crossover to use with this sub? It's frequency response is 30-150hz. Doesn't have to be exact, just something close. Possibly a two-channel crossover in case I add a second identical sub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19598584

You might be able to purchase a very inexpensive receiver and use one channel to power your passive subwoofer. Although you can get external crossovers (see Parts Express), that can get more cumbersome (particularly if combined with an extra receiver).

At around $200, individuals in this forum like the BIC F12 and Premier Acoustic PA-120 subwoofers. Each is likely to be considerably better than your existing passive subwoofer.

I am pretty limited on room and I am sure there are far better subs, but I really do not need anything fantastic at this point in time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The LFE and subwoofer line outs mix all channels so that you get sufficient bass. You can possibly drive a passive subwoofer with one of the unused channels on your AVR and use the crossover as you hope. Keep in mind that the solution may be unacceptable because there is little chance of their being sufficient bass from one surround channel.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Onkyo makes good receivers, unfortunately their speakers and subwoofers are nothing but dissapointing and IMO take away some of the shine from their receiver line up. If you want to mess around with this sub for fun and to experiment that is great. If you think you are going to get a passive onkyo hooked up to get bass out of a surround channel for a setup, you will be very discouraged at not having a cinematic experience. You will get a little bass that comes into that 1 channel that doesn't get much of any in first place. Now I believe what others are saying is to run that LFE line into another receiver, and using that other receiver to amplify that signal to the passive (You could use old one that can probably be found real cheap if you don't already have one sitting around). Claimed frequency response of 30-150Hz has no +/-, so who knows what output is over those frequencies. 1. It will not go low in frequency with much output. 2. It will not have much output at any given frequency. 3. It will not have good sound quality. 4. You will have to do all of this work and MacGyver to still have a junky sub that adds very little to the experience. If your receiver has a line out, then you need to save up for a powered subwoofer, and you have two suggestions for $200. Once you have a decent subwoofer the next step will be replacing speakers if they are Onkyo. You can't get champagne on a beer budget. You can find a decent tasting beer if you listen to people who drink beer. I wouldn't brew beer in a bathtub and hope for good results. You should not even think of adding a second Onkyo passive to have two turds farting in your room. It will however smooth out the farting in your room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.