AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a new audio video reciever for my home. i currently have an older onkyo reciever that will do dolby digital and dts. it has an optical and digital coxial input. can i use my reciever with my x fi sound card? will i still get surround sound like i do with my logitech z5300 system??

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone know?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i play a pc game that has surround sound will it show up as dolby digital on my onkyo? or would i be better off sticking with my logitech system?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/12945388

ok after doing some research i think i need this to get true 5.1 http://us.creative.com/products/prod...ct=14191&nav=1

If you mean with AC3 files and DVDs, then yes, you will still get DD and DTS. You do not need that device to get digital surrounds formats to work. I have an Audigy 2ZS and what I did is I bought a 1/8" mini to coaxial RCA cord - I plugged the mini end into the digital out (FlexiJack) on my sound card, and plugged the RCA end to one of the digital coaxial ports on my receiver. Next, go into your sound settings and select "digital out only". Then you choose to output in spdif during DVDs or AC3 files.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that would be cool if i dont need that decoder. cuz i have read some poeple say that they can only get sterro sound. but that does make sence to click the digital out only. cuz i am going to upgrade my av reciever and i will be stuck with my old onkyo sr601, which would kick ass on my pc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts