AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently setup my basement HT and have a question about what setting to have my Onkyo SR605 on. I have a DVD player and a sat box hooked up to the receiver, both via HDMI. In regards to speakers, I have 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 rear surrounds, and 1 sub.

The problem I seem to be having is that I'm trying to get the best possible sound and don't know which setting is best. On some settings it seems that the surrounds are very cloudy/scratchy. Is there a better setting I can use to get the best surround output? Also, should I have it on different settings depending on what I'm watching? For example, when watching a DVD have it one setting and when watching sports in HD have it on a different setting.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you only have two surround speakers you should have them attached to the surround left and surround right, not the ones that say 'back' on them. If you do have them on the back ones, change them to the correct and then make sure to change the speaker configuration in the menu (surround back OFF and surround side ON)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I checked and they are hooked up correctly. It's more of an issue of what setting works best for surround sound. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what surround setting works best in specific applications (ie movies, sports, etc).

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laterno /forum/post/14340300

No, I checked and they are hooked up correctly. It's more of an issue of what setting works best for surround sound. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what surround setting works best in specific applications (ie movies, sports, etc).

Thanks,

Lee

I would use the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode or if you can add one or two surr. back speakers, then i would use the DPL IIx movie mode or the DTS Neo:6 Movie mode. those two works fine on my soon to be sold Pioneer VSX-1015TX. Use these modes when watching something that is not in Dolby Digital or DTS Surround.

If you have the 605 correctly setup, when you are watching a DVD and it is connected to a Digital Coax or a Fiber Optical Cable or HDMI, you should be listening Dolby Digital or DTS on DVD movies and on HD it should be on Dolby Digital.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts