AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an Onkyo sr606 after reading many posts on here. It seems like the SR606 is a little future proof and it seems to have all the features that I would need. I guess this is a middle to low end receiver as far as receivers/price goes. What do I get with a higher end receiver? What am I missing with the SR606. Is it sound quality or is it more features / bells and whistles. If it is only sound quality I think I am more than satisfied with the sound I get from the SR606. If it is features.. what are they. Convince me that my SR606 is not good enough.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sorry, for many, it is good enough. You won't get much improvement in sound quality for twice the money, but you will get more bells and whistles. I've had my 606 a year now and am still delighted with it. Even more as I just connected my first BD player and can hear the HD audio bitstreamed to the 606.

Read the website referred to in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161048

It essentially says that with all other things being equal, even experts could not tell the difference between high end and low end receivers. The low end receiver was even connected with cheap cables (gasp!)

Also read this: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?page_id=1120

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info..

What bells and whistles.. ?? Anything I need or might be neat to have.

One thing I have read is that higher end receivers come with a better Audyssey and maybe better room audio correction??

I have a bd390 and was watching and listening to the spears and munsil disc demos.. I only have half my speakers hooked up (fronts)and I got a tinge of giddyness in me as the sound went through me.. just anticipating the sounds coming at me from all places with the 7.1..

·
Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W73 /forum/post/16907161

thanks for the info..

What bells and whistles.. ?? Anything I need or might be neat to have.

One thing I have read is that higher end receivers come with a better Audyssey and maybe better room audio correction??

I have a bd390 and was watching and listening to the spears and munsil disc demos.. I only have half my speakers hooked up (fronts)and I got a tinge of giddyness in me as the sound went through me.. just anticipating the sounds coming at me from all places with the 7.1..

The 606 uses Audyssey 2EQ for room correction. This is a basic version and doesn't equalize the subwoofer. The 706/806 series use Multi EQ which does handle the subwoofer. The 876 and 906 use Multi EQ XT which is a very good room correction program using up to 8 test positions. You may or may not hear any difference in your room between the two, but sub control is really nice for many.

The 876 and 906 also use the HQV Reon video chip which is excellent at upscaling/converting SD video to HD. All models below are usually a marketing ploy IMO, because modern HDTVs do a fantastic job on their own. I would not buy an AVR for this feature unless I watched a ton of Laser Disc or VCR. DVDs can be upscaled by BD players.

Usually when you move up the chain you get larger power supplies (which to 90%+ means nothing). They usually throw more connections on. In all honesty, many buy AVRs for the wrong reasons as they don't use half of what they can do. So many buy for better power numbers, which are usually lies and don't make an audible difference (you need to DOUBLE power for a 3db gain: 10db = twice as loud).

If you are happy that is great. Keep it. I am a happy Onkyo TX-SR805 owner, and have loved Onkyo since I bought my TX-SR600 some years ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Like I said I don't I dont' even have all the speakers set up and the sound is sufficient for me.

I think I'm happy. I don't even know if I need this much. I think one of the only reasons I bought it was cause of the HDMI audio and video.. I can have 3 cables and have my dish, bluray to the AVR and then an hdmi to the tv... alot of other systems you needed to run an audio cable too. Only thing I don't like is the no OSD with HDMI but I think that is just a detail with the HDMI technology. My tv has HDMI link so I do get some volume and on and off interaction with the 606.

I'm hardly using any of the connections.. only other thing I have hooked up to it is a wii. I may have to get an xbox or playstation just for the hd quality gaming..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/16907611

It just comes down to this:

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

or Buy AVRs for features; buy speakers for sound.

I hear you.. I'm almost thinking it is all too much and just want to go to an all in one lg HTIB with bluray.. I'd save a few hundred dollars. Not sure what I would be sacrificing.. I see now they have a unit that has two hdmi inputs and does hdmi audio and video.. and like I said that is all I really cared about ..

but it is nice knowing that I can do almost anything that I would ever want to do with this receiver..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W73 /forum/post/16908138

I hear you.. I'm almost thinking it is all too much and just want to go to an all in one lg HTIB with bluray.. I'd save a few hundred dollars. Not sure what I would be sacrificing.. I see now they have a unit that has two hdmi inputs and does hdmi audio and video.. and like I said that is all I really cared about ..

but it is nice knowing that I can do almost anything that I would ever want to do with this receiver..

First you were concerned that you didn't spend enough. Now you're concerned that you spent too much. Just relax and enjoy your new equipment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/16909222

First you were concerned that you didn't spend enough. Now you're concerned that you spent too much. Just relax and enjoy your new equipment.

I just want the perfect fit.. still hooknig up, installing , and tinkering.. I am waiting for the day I can just sit back and enjoy..

wish I had the dough to have someone to come in and do all the headache causing and time consuming setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.