AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have done all kinds of google searching (and this board) on this issue and come up with nothing directly related.

I have a older (5 years) Onkyo SR703 which I bought new. It hasn't given me any problem up until recently. I have a problem where the audio drops out completely across all channels and all inputs (TV,DVD, etc.) It will come back if you turn the unit off and let it sit for 30 min or so. It is almost as though there is a protection circuit being tripped. I've checked the wires and nothing looks to be touching. I've changed all the audio formats, put it on pure audio, etc. No fix. It has been intermittent but is getting worse. I've opened up the unit and I don't see anything amiss or overheated. So, my questions is, has anyone heard of this before. If so, is it repairable? Suggestions? TIA.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
It sound like you have a circuit that opens when the unit warms up. There's probably a solder crack somewhere. If you know where the crack is, it can be easily fixed by an electronics repairman. Generally not an easy thing to locate.

The problem is soldering on modern boards in done all at once by dipping in a bath. If you have one crack, you'll likely soon have others. Onkyo's tend to run hotter than other units and hence are more likely to have issues like this.

It's probably best to get a new receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I may have found the issue. I found the service manual online and was able to run the unit through a series of tests. I found one of the surround back channels protection failed. Since I don't have the back channels always hooked up, I store the cables. One of the cables connections were shorted. I *hope* that was the issue. I'll find out when I reinstall. I did find out that it needs some FW upgrades, but I don't think that's causing my problem. I'll let you all know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.