AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm currently using my Dual 2.0 PowerMac G5 as my HTPC for watching .vob files. Right now the Mac is connected to my Panasonic projector via DVI/HDMI input. The video card is the ATI 9600 AGP, w/ 128MB.

I'd like to upgrade my H/K AVR320 to an Onkyo SR705 but have some questions about getting the video signal from the Mac to the projector via the Onkyo's HDMI switching.

I've searched high and low on this and other forums and can't find any definitive information about hooking up a PowerMac G5 to an Onkyo TX-SR705. The plan is to use an adapter to convert the DVI to HDMI and run that into one of the three HDMI inputs on the 705, and have the 705 do the switching for me. There are a lot of people talking about the Mac Mini and having problems with the video but not the G5.

Has anyone successfully switched the HDMI/DVI using an Onkyo receiver (SR605, SR705, & SR805 should be similar in HDMI switching)?

If not that kind of puts a damper on my options since most of my video (.vobs) comes from my Mac, and my projector only has one HDMI input. Using an external HDMI switching device might work but adds another piece to the puzzle.

So what do you think Onkyo owners, am I up a creek? Or sitting pretty?

Thanks,

BZ

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I can't help you with the G5 issue, but I'm another one of the Mac Mini people who have problems with the video feed into my Onkyo 885. I ended up adding another switcher between the onkyo/mac and the display to avoid the Onkyo video problems. For what it's worth, I only had problems with 1080p. 720p worked just fine through the Onkyo.

You might want to post this in the Mac Chat area here, as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post, this is actually posted in both forums to maximize exposure.

That's interesting about the mini. A friend of mine is having trouble w/ his mini and 705. But yours was fine at 720p, and that's what his projector is....

Maybe I'll point him in your direction if he feels inclined to see how you got your mini to work through your Onkyo @ 720p.

thanks again,

BZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts