AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I psoted this at remotecentral but I realized that there may be people here who have had relevant experience with this question, so here goes:

I'm having miserable problems trying to control my onkyo nr900 via remote while enclosed in a cabinet.

I've got a standalone ir sensor going into an ir distribution block and out to two ir emitters -- one to my replaytv and the other to my onkyo.

I can control the replay fine through this setup, but the onkyo almost never recognizes any signals. I've tried it with an emitter taped directly to the onkyo's ir sensor and I've tried it with the emitter positioned close but not on the onkyo sensor (and I know the emiter works because I tried taping it to other equipment and it controlled that fine); I've tried shielding the emitter and onkyo sensor so that no other signal can interfere; and I also tried directly hooking the output of the ir distribution block to the IR input on the onkyo (the onkyo has an ir input female miniplug that you can use for this purpose that is pretty cool; I know this works because the Onkyo also has an IR out that repeats the input ir signal, and when I plug the emitter going to my replay into that ir out, the remote controls the replay fine). No matter what I do, the remote

will not dependibly control the onkyo. (I've tried it with the original onkyo remote as well as my trusty 15-1994; both work fine when pointed at the onkyo but when I shut the cabinet and try to use the remote ir sensor, it just won't work.)

I tried unplugging my monitor (a plasma) because I've heard that plasma's can interfere with the IR signal, but that didn't help at all. I've also tried all sorts of positions for the external ir sensor, as well as getting closer or farther away from it while

using the remote, but nothing helps. Meanwhile, other equipment gets controlled absolutely flawlessly.

Any ideas about why onkyo is so temperamental and what I can do about this? Any reason to beleive going to an rf configuration like the radio shack 2117 would be of any help?

(I note that when the cabinet is open and my remote can see the onkyo directly, it works fine; in fact, bizarrely, I don't seem to be able to prevent it from receiving the signal when the cabinet is open -- I tried throwing a dark thick blanket over the entire front face of the onkyoand it still seems to receive the signal fine.)

Alan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.