AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-8050 and an ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard with each connected via an Optical Cable.

I have scrolled through the setup menu on the TX-8050 and set the input to Optical 1.

However, No Sound.

Briefly, what can I do to get stereo sound from internet radio and Media Monkey (hdd), through my motherboard, to my TX-8050 and out through my speakers and subwoofer, all of which are connected properly?

Note: I am assuming that an optical connect to the motherboard would yield superior sound to a dedicated sound card which will certainly pull noise off the computer components inside the case, while optical will not.

Thank you for you help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

I'm using a TX-8050 (and have also used a Yamaha RX-V475, and an older Onkyo DS-939) with my Gigabyte UD3-P45 motherboard. It has an onboard Realtek ALC889A, which is a significantly lower-end audio chip than what your Asus has. I guess that the optical output on your motherboard is either not sending audio at all or it is sending a multichannel encoded signal that the Onkyo TX-8050 can't play.

Some things to try:
  1. Make sure your optical cable's dust covers are off
  2. Make sure your optical cable ends are fully pushed into the sockets (there usually are 2 snap sounds before full seating is achieved)
  3. Make sure you're using the correct optical input, the TX-8050 has 2 optical inputs, if in doubt, try each of them
  4. If you have a CD or DVD player with optical output, connect it instead of the computer, just to confirm that you have a good cable and the TX-8050 is playing audio from the optical input (make sure to play a 2 channel audio source, like a CD.)
  5. Make sure your Motherboard audio output is set to 16-bit or 24-bit at 44.1, 48, or 96 kilohertz. The TX-8050 will not play 192Khz. (see below)
  6. Make sure your Motherboard audio output is NOT Dolby Digital Live or DTS, the Onkyo TX-8050 will only play 2-channel audio (see below)

To configure and test the output formats, you can do the following (Windows 7):
  1. Control Panel
  2. Hardware and Sound
  3. Manage Audio Devices
  4. If you have multiple devices, make sure your motherboard digital optical output is the default device
  5. Select your audio device (on my computer, it is "Realtek Digital Output", yours will be something else), right-click and choose "Properties"
  6. General Tab --> Device usage: "Use this device (enable)"
  7. Supported Formats Tab --> Uncheck all "Encoded Formats"
  8. Supported Formats Tab --> Check 44.1 / 48 / 96, Uncheck 192. Then test the various outputs to confirm you are getting sound
  9. Advanced Tab --> Default Format --> Select "2 channel, 16 bit 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)", or another supported 2 channel format
  10. Click "OK" and "OK" again to close both dialogs
  11. Try again to play some audio

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony, I seriously appreciate your post and especially the organized way you think. I shall file everything away for reference. As you mentioned, the motherboard sound chip is inferior at best so I have decided to move my HT Omega Claro card to my main computer with the Onkyo TX-8050 and big floorstanding speakers. I will let you know how that works out - optical to optical.

I subsequently purchased an Omega Claro (not Claro Halo but the same CMI8788 chip as the Claro Halo- a good compromise (purchased new for $88.00 delivered - not bad I think) considering I am only using some decent Sony bookshelf (wall-mounted) speakers and a "simple" AudioSource Amp 100 (that I had intended for surround sound which I found to be very "odd" for music though appropriate for movies). For a 2nd system the sound is actually quite decent, considering it's analogue to analogue.

Tony, once again I must thank you for being so kind and helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that your motherboard sound was inferior. I meant that it was likely better than mine, and if my crappy motherboard optical works fine, which it does, then yours will probably work as well or even better.

The Claro probably has better drivers and ultimately will work great for you. Hopefully it will also be easier to set up than the Asus.

Good luck with your changes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Despite the clumsiness of my response, I did indeed understand what you meant about my ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard perhaps having superior sound to your board. But I nevertheless feel that it still cannot even remotely compare with the dedicated architecture of a Claro soundcard, even if I choose an optical out.

I should know within one week and will post accordingly.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts