AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

How many of us are there on this forum?

I am having some difficulty getting my unit set up. The manual seems very cryptic. Customer service is patient, but not very effective.

Is anyone else having problems connecting this unit to their home networks? Any hot tips?

TIA,

Rog

·
Registered
331 Posts
I plugged mine into my switch and it grabbed an IP no problem... do you have DHCP setup on your router? playing music from my PC works fine but the iphone app + pandora seems buggy... I don't use the network functions much, just play CDs and music through itunes (optical link).

setup video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDSlP_63Kw

PS: aside from the network issues, how do you like the 8050? I find it's amp section very clean and powerful (driving boston A25's).... the internal dac (Texas Instruments Aureus DA830) is pretty nice sounding also.
What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I finally got my receiver to grab the PBS stations that I like to listen to. User instructions are about the klunkiest that I have ever seen.

I haven't really played around with Pandora/Spotify/etc. but will soon.

I am using AR 4x speakers and this unit sounds as good or better than my old Sony. (The power amp in the Sony was dying.....sloooowly)

Rog

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cool... glad you got it sorted. I just use my PC when I stream anything, but I reckon trying the network stuff on the 8050 might be a bit more convenient. Anyways... I am playing some SACDs through a Denon 2910 on this unit and it sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got the Internet stuff working pretty readily. Use pandora some, but mostly vtuner stations which I manage on the PC. I wish it had an on screen display for managing this stuff, but once it is dialed in it works great. Really bought it for the internet radio, but have come to appreciate the digital inputs. I initially used an outboard phono preamp, but I have come to respect the electronics in this thing, and now use the internal preamp. I would normally have budgeted a bit more for a receiver, but there is really nothing else this feature rich in a stereo receiver. If there has been a compromise in SQ for using such an inexpensive piece of kit, I am not hearing it. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I owned one for a year or so, gravitated to an AVR for bass management. One tip, if losing the ability to connect go back to your router and reserve the DHCP lease for the Onkyo. Also, the Onkyo Remote for android (and I presume iOS) is good. Functions are fairly basic but sufficient. Connect to the Onkyo via Web browser to set up accounts for Pandora, Spotify, etc. and internet radio stations.

I really liked mine, it served me well and got me addicted to networked gear for convenience . I had to spend more than I wanted for equivalent functionality from an AVR, but was able to sell the onkyo on Amazon just hours after it listed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yeah, the bass management is zilch on the 8050.. that's about the biggest con I have for it... luckily I have a frequency knob on my sub (set at 80-ish hz). The iphone app works pretty well for setting up pandora and other network goodies. but I don't use them much.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just go my 8050 today from Crutch. Been playing around with it and I noticed that when I turn my balance all the way to the right I hear a little of the sound from the left speaker. Same thing happens when I turn it all the way left. I double checked my speaker connections and they are correct. I have the same issue on both A and B speakers. Could this be just how it works? Can somebody try it on their 8050? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
331 Posts
interesting... some bleed even at full left or right extension? I will check mine and let you know.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk  /t/1471878/onkyo-tx-8050-owners-thread#post_23430546

Connect to the Onkyo via Web browser to set up accounts for Pandora, Spotify, etc. and internet radio stations.

I'm positive I'm simply overlooking it, but where are the instructions for this? What address do I go to to setup Pandora et al for the Onkyo 8050?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I cant remember exactly and I have sold mine. Once you have the Onkyo on your local network (which must be done from the front panel setup), open a web browser and type in the IP address of the TX-8050. For example, http://192.168.1.201 . From there, navigate through the choices and you should find the screen for entering streaming services' credentials. I believe you can do the same from the Android or iOS app.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1  /t/1471878/onkyo-tx-8050-owners-thread#post_23545669

Just go my 8050 today from Crutch. Been playing around with it and I noticed that when I turn my balance all the way to the right I hear a little of the sound from the left speaker. Same thing happens when I turn it all the way left. I double checked my speaker connections and they are correct. I have the same issue on both A and B speakers. Could this be just how it works? Can somebody try it on their 8050? Thanks in advance!

mine does this also. I guess it's normal. weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc  /t/1471878/onkyo-tx-8050-owners-thread#post_23558370

I'm positive I'm simply overlooking it, but where are the instructions for this? What address do I go to to setup Pandora et al for the Onkyo 8050?

I think once it's on the network, if you have an iphone or ipad, download the onkyo app and configure pandora from there.. makes it pretty easy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got Pandora configured, thx all.

I have a separate question/issue...

Whenever I turn the volume on the unit past ~35-40, I can hear the audio coming from the unit itself (no speaker). Anyone ever experience that? It is faint, and not audible when the A/V closet door is closed, but obvious when you are sitting in front of the unit.

One more user question. I have selected a few vTuner favorites and can access them on the 8050 through Net, vTuner, Favorites. Can those favorites be added to the Onkyo presets? I see a place for URL through the web GUI but couldn't figure out how to get a direct URL address from vTuner.

thx all

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi - I am an all-Onkyo person and am considering buying this receiver. I have a "premium" account at Jazzradio.com that requires login - this eliminates commercials. Will I be able to "login" from the Tx-8050 so that it gets the non-commercial stream. (I mean, can the receiver handle credentials - this probably applies to Pandora feeds, etc. as well). If I have to set it up from a nearby PC that's cool.

This is a dealbreaker for me so I need to know

Thanks!

/j

·
Registered
331 Posts
thanks for helping.... I had no idea on that one. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1  /t/1471878/onkyo-tx-8050-owners-thread#post_23545669

Got mine today. Real easy to set up for me! I have mine running speakers in the ceilings/walls in multiple rooms. When I was hooking it up I would use the balance to identify the R or L speaker... and my outside speakers, sometimes I want to use just the speaker over the hottub at night....when I did this, I noticed even when I turned the balance knob to one extreme or the other, it would not mute the opposite channel!!!! Very strange, but I'm glad to see this is normal! I was freaking out thinking I had some kind of wiring foul up for over and hour (not wanting to fish or check the lines in the walls), trying to diagnose the problem!

·
Registered
1 Posts
TX 8050 Windows PC audio via optical input -Fail

I can connect my BD player via toslink and play cds. I cannot seem to get pc audio over toslink to play at all. Well it worked once 6 months ago for 5 minutes as a test prior to installing in wall wire runs and toslink keystone jacks.

I have a turtle beach audio advantage 2 usb (tb aa2). Settings are for 16 bit cd quality stereo output at 44100. I have tried other settings too that the 8050 supports. The output works fine going to my TX SR707, and all cables are good. The tx 8050 is very finicky about the PCM audio and I cant seem to get windows to send what it needs. I have also tried a separate win xp machine using the tb aa2 with no luck.

I am using the tx-8050 in a whole house audio set up and like the flexibility of using the pc audio output as the source occasionally.

Anyone out there had any luck or even tried playing windows pc audio over toslink? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Onkyo tx8050 connect to Spotify on home network...

Folks,

I can't figure out how to connect Spotify on my laptop/network to my tx8050.

Has anyone done this? All help is appreciated.

TIA,

Rog Smith

1 - 20 of 23 Posts