AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I have a problem with my new Onkyo TX-8050 when playing back digital music via the network. I have narrowed it down to files encoded to CD quality, 16bit 44.1 khz. Doesn't matter the format, FLAC, MP3, WAV. If it is at 16bit 44.1 khz it plays back about 15% faster and higher in pitch.


I tested this with 3 versions of the same track, Eva Cassidy singing Fields of Gold. I have it in FLAC 24bit 96 khz, and MP3 at 16bit 44.1 khz. I also converted the FLAC to a 16bit 48 khz MP3 file. The FLAC and 48 khz MP3 played fine but the 44.1 khz MP3 plays faster and higher in pitch. Note that all three play just fine on my iMac.


Onkyo support have not been helpful. I called several times, got through to their call queue and then after waiting for a couple of minutes got dropped. After about the 5th time I finally got to talk to someone. I explained the problem and what I'd done (power off for 10 minutes, complete reset, etc) all to no avail. They took my details and said they'd call back in about 5 - 15 minutes. That was 2 days ago!


Has anyone else come across this and if so how did they get it fixed?


Cheers,

Jo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using Serviio and there is no transcoding configured. I dont think it related to the DLNA server since the problem also exists when listening to either Pandora or Last.fm via the TX-8050 built in support for these services
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Hey Jo...I bought the 8050 about two weeks ago. Finally got the networking going. You're issue intrigued me so I took a 24/96 FLAC of Refugee by TP and converted to 16/44.1 WAV using Audacity. Sounded right & played w/out issue for me. I even used a stopwatch to confirm the speed. Pitch sunded fine as well but can't validate that outside of my own ears. I use PCs running Win 7 using a Synology DS211j NAS to stream via wireless AP to the Onkyo. No transcoding enabled from the NAS.


Also, no issue with Pandora (tested by ear before I tried the WAV test).


Hopefully that can help a little in narrowing down your issue.


Gotta say I love this stereo. Sounds pretty damn good for the price (I always liked Onkyos) but the networking capabilities are great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Does anyone know if you need the Onkyo USB dongle specifically, or will other models work as well? I don't know if a USB LAN dongle is pretty much standard, or if you really need to pay triple for their own brand. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I bought and installed my TX-8050 last week and Im using the ethernet connection, plugged it in and worked instantly. I updated the bios right away through the unit itself and all went well. It works flawlessly and Im really pleased with the sound. I love the vTuner streaming channel and getting all my favorite radio stations with that and Pandora.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
That's great. Yeah, I can't wait for mine to arrive.


I don't think I'll be able to get a cable over to it, so I'm going to have to use a wifi dongle. The Onkyo LAN adapter is a lot more expensive than most. I read on a youtube page that someone said they were using a different brand, so I don't know if they are all pretty much the same. I think they have different drivers, so I don't know if there's a way to know which ones will work and which ones won't. Or if they all would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Do you guys have any of the network issues I describe here?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353726


I have network control turned off in the settings on the receiver, which totally disables networking on power off, but I don't think it's that way by default. This could be part of my having to turn it on and off twice to get connectivity problem...


Also trying to figure out if there is a way to do a reset which resets everything. The normal reset leaves the networking settings in tact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0xlf /forum/post/21199927


Do you guys have any of the network issues I describe here?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353726


I have network control turned off in the settings on the receiver, which totally disables networking on power off, but I don't think it's that way by default. This could be part of my having to turn it on and off twice to get connectivity problem...


Also trying to figure out if there is a way to do a reset which resets everything. The normal reset leaves the networking settings in tact.

No Problems at all here. Im using the ethernet internet connection, The first thing I did before even listening to music was update the firmware . I used the unit itself to download and install the update, not the USB port. I really could not be more pleased with its performance. Im running it through external amplifiers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to stream to this with a mac? Itunes, naturally, is out without airplay so I'm wondering if anyone has a third party application that makes itunes work or an alternate (like songbird) that will stream to this network.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugtussle /forum/post/21205167


No Problems at all here. Im using the ethernet internet connection, The first thing I did before even listening to music was update the firmware . I used the unit itself to download and install the update, not the USB port. I really could not be more pleased with its performance. Im running it through external amplifiers.

Do you have network control turned off in the settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0xlf /forum/post/21205305


Do you have network control turned off in the settings?

My network control is on/or enabled. I really didnt touch anything except click my way through the firmware update. It was pretty much plug and play and not a problem since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Can anyone tell me how this thing works with Windows Media Player? Do you navigate your playlists via WMP on your computer or do you have to use the receivers interface? Also what is the difference between using WMP and "DLNA" (not even sure what that is)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
OK I've messed around with this thing for a while now.


Streaming flac, mp3, etc from an external hard drive plugged directly into the USB port works and sounds great but the receiver doesn't seem to recognize .fpl, .m3u, or .m3u8 playlist files. And random playback only works for a group of files located in a single folder. I have my directory set up as Music>Artist>Album. So I can listen to a single album on random, and no playlists. Great.


Wifi streaming DLNA. Major pain in the a$$. I can only get the receiver to recognize music on my computer if it's part of Windows Media Player library, and even then I can't get it to play flac (even though I have a plugin which allows me to play flac in WMP), only mp3 will stream wifi which sounds OK, not great. A few dropouts here and there. I can't get any WMP playlists to work correctly here either. Sometimes the receiver will recognize a playlist, sometimes not. Sometimes the playlist name will be there but only songs from one particular artist will play (even though the playlist in WMP proper contains various artists).


The next part has nothing to do with the receiver but pissed me off big time: I imported my entire mp3 collection into WMP and WMP somehow deleted all of my album art I had saved as folder.jpg's in the music source folders!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH I HATE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.


Maybe someone will chime in and tell me all the things I am doing wrong.


If someone would invent a receiver that could do wifi playback of flac (or even mp3 at this point) using Foobar2000 as the controller application that would be a dream come true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
While it isn't a receiver, I have had my Oppo 93 act as a DLNA renderer with foobar as the controlling server. It isn't the typical way I use it, but I once wanted to experiment controlling my song selection through an Android app, which controls foobar via WIFI.


Food for thought, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac /forum/post/0


If someone would invent a receiver that could do wifi playback of flac (or even mp3 at this point) using Foobar2000 as the controller application that would be a dream come true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
If you want seamless playback, forget receiver capabilities. Get yourself a networked media player which supports DLNA and connect it to receiver via Toslink. There are many media players on the market in $100-300 range, and they are very flexible in what you can do. You usually can control them from Android device or iPhone/Pad. Choose player with its own touch screen for most convenience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/21351027


If you want seamless playback, forget receiver capabilities. Get yourself a networked media player which supports DLNA and connect it to receiver via Toslink. There are many media players on the market in $100-300 range, and they are very flexible in what you can do. You usually can control them from Android device or iPhone/Pad. Choose player with its own touch screen for most convenience.

When you say "networked media player" are you talking about something like the Squeezebox touch? I've looked at that on the logitech website and it looks pretty cool.


On the plus side regarding the 8050, I do like the fact that I can have a hard drive directly connected to the receiver so I can enjoy 1 TB of flac files whenever I want and not have to worry about all the network crap. I just wish I could make playlists or just kick back and hit random.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels /forum/post/21350202


While it isn't a receiver, I have had my Oppo 93 act as a DLNA renderer with foobar as the controlling server. It isn't the typical way I use it, but I once wanted to experiment controlling my song selection through an Android app, which controls foobar via WIFI.


Food for thought, I guess.

While all that sounds very cool, it makes my head hurt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac /forum/post/21351387


When you say "networked media player" are you talking about something like the Squeezebox touch? I've looked at that on the logitech website and it looks pretty cool.

Yes, Squeezebox Touch is one of nice media players. It can't play multichannel music though, but I do not think you worry much about it at this point.


If you want video playback too, then WDTV players will do it. But for them you always need TV or monitor.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top