AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on a 2-channel setup for my garage... saw this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1031893 , but no one really answered this guy's real question... (probably because it was in the Audio theory section... everyone seemed more interested in his speakers, and Ohms and stuff
)

Is the upgrade from 8222 to 8522 ($70 difference from Crutchfield), 50W to 100W, worth it?

My main source will be a Squeezebox Duet, but I also want to listen to local FM. My speakers are an amazingly unknown pair of Sansui bookshelves - SP-X2U - 200W @ 8 Ohms. In the past I had only used these with a 25 yr old JVC receiver that sounded ok... just recently I tried these speakers with my Yamaha AVR, and they really surprised me, so... I think they'll be great with either receiver, but... should I spend the extra $$ for the 8522?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... replying to myself here. I went to a local Circuit City tonight to see if I could listen to the 8222, which according to their website, this particular location had in stock and on sale for a decent price, as Crutchfield was slightly more for the 8222 and had discounted the 8522. Of course, I get there and the price tag reads regular price... And they did also have the 8522 for regular price.... And neither was hooked up to anything -- typical big box store. They told me they would price match the 8222 (meaning THEY'D MATCH THE PRICE ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE, duh!
), but they couldn't match Crutchfield on the 8522. No big deal. I decided to save some bucks, at least to start out, by taking the 8222 home and giving it a try, for say... 29 days. Worse comes to worse, if I don't like it, I return it within 30 days and order the 8522 online, or perhaps someone will offer a better deal by then.

I got it home, hooked it up... the verdict? Not half bad. I know, it's nothing spectacular -- 2-channel sound in a garage, but it was acceptable - not awesome or amazing, but acceptable. However, my question still remains...

Would I notice a difference upgrading to the 8522? Or, alternately, what if I used a surround receiver for 2-channel sound, like the TX-SR304 or TX-SR575, (either of which can be had for less than the 8522)??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am looking at buying the 8522 to power an outdoor speaker on my deck. Let me know if you upgrade and can tell a difference. I am currenty using an old Kenwood 30 watts per channel receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts