AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome.
I'm glad I got here.
I have a question - what will happen as if it was connected before via HDMI will send a signal to the DTS or DD (5.1) receiver.

Will the amplifier handle the movie 2.1? I will have subwoofer.

Will the subwoofer sound like the 5.1 set?

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
the subwoofer will sound like .1 which is a dedicated LFE channel.

I don't understand your question. How can a subwoofer sound like 5.1? It's only one channel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry, my english is bad.
Will the receiver play according to what is in the picture and will transmit the signal to the subwoofer in this way?

·
Registered
772 Posts
@majmaj I believe [but am not 100% certain] that from surround sources the receiver uses a summed full range 2.0 PCM signal that is then split to the sub via the crossover set by the receiver. I can definitely tell you I'm not missing any bass when I watch movies on blu ray or streamed content with surround soundtrack. You do have to set all your sources send PCM to the receiver.

from the manual:
Supported Audio Formats

2-channel linear PCM: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit

DSD: Supported sampling rates: 2.8 MHzYour Blu-ray Disc/DVD player must also support HDMI output of the above audio formats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, new to this forum. Does anyone know if this stereo sends the RCA in analog signal directly to the amp or does it do any digital processing before? I have a sonos connect hooked up to this receiver and recently noticed that it's now playing out of sync with my other sonos connect. trying to trouble shoot with Sonos and they were asking about digital processing. thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
hi, new to this forum. Does anyone know if this stereo sends the RCA in analog signal directly to the amp or does it do any digital processing before? I have a sonos connect hooked up to this receiver and recently noticed that it's now playing out of sync with my other sonos connect. trying to trouble shoot with Sonos and they were asking about digital processing. thanks!
I have a Connect hooked up with RCA cables and it plays in sync with my other Sonos Play:1s as far as I can tell [they're in different rooms so I can't critically listen to both at the same time]. Are the problems you're having like phase issues where it's really close or is it a noticeable amount of time behind? Either way this doesn't have the weird sound fields and other kinds of processing that tend to cause those problems. I think the distance settings in the setup menu are the only place a delay could be introduced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The delay is maybe 500ms to 1 sec long. It feels like its usually a half beat off or so. Are the distance settings you're talking about for setting the speaker distance? That was the only setting I thought to try and setting it to zero didn't change anything.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The delay is maybe 500ms to 1 sec long. It feels like its usually a half beat off or so. Are the distance settings you're talking about for setting the speaker distance? That was the only setting I thought to try and setting it to zero didn't change anything.
Yeah there's nothing I'm aware of in the receiver itself that would cause that much of a delay. The only other thing I can think of would be the lip sync setting but I'm pretty sure that only applies to HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went through all the settings, but couldn't remove the delay. Tried attaching both Sonos connects to another sound system and it worked fine. Wondering if it's due to a firmware update.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It looks like Denon is getting on the 2 channel AVR bandwagon, THe DRA-800H specs look roughly similar to the 8270/DTM-7: $500 MSRP, 100wpc at 8 ohms, A+B outputs, works with lots of music streaming services, bass management but no room correction. The main differences look like 5 HDMI inputs instead of 4, Alexa/Siri support [yawn] and obviously it has HEOS instead of "Works with Sonos."

The most interesting part is the Zone 2 outs seem to have variable volume which might make this actually usable as a preamp. I'd guess the pre outs don't use the subwoofer crossover, but you could do a miniDSP for that.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Onkyo has officially announced the TX-8390 receiver. It has more power (they're advertising 200 watts but that's 1khz to 6 ohms and at 10% THD so I'd guess around 120 WPC in real life), 6 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs, pre outs, a room calibration system called AccuEQ. So pretty much everything I thought was wrong with it. Listed at 800 GBP so list in the US will probably be 800-900. At that pricing I imagine they'll keep the 8270 for sale for the immediate future.

UK Product page
UK Press release

Sadly, this old friend remains, they must have made way too many remote housings in 1994:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Integra DTM-7 vs. Onkyo 8270

An update for this thread: I ordered a refurb Integra DTM-7 (same internals as far as I can tell) and just got finished setting it up. So far it's great, HDMI-CEC works identically to my old Sony, it sounds good (haven't cranked it yet) driving my Canton Chrono 502.2. The remote is crap but I knew that going in.

I just peeked at Accessories4Less and they have refurb 8270s for a really good price. If they'd been in stock last week I would have bought that instead but I got an extra year of warranty for my slight price increase so I'm happy. I'll update this thread as I swap out components while I upgrade to 4K.

I'm also looking at a refurbished Integra DTM-7. Are there any advantages to this over the Onkyo 8270?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm also looking at a refurbished Integra DTM-7. Are there any advantages to this over the Onkyo 8270?
The only actual differences I'd guess at are the system integration features (RS232 and 12V triggers) and the longer warranty. They're specced identically and I chose the Integra because it was only $50 more for an extra year of warranty and AC4L was out of stock on refurb 8270s at that moment. It's been a great solution for my system, the only issues I've had with it long term were some CEC craziness that turned out to be caused by my TV (and fixed with a patch) and the network firmware update fails most of the time so I just use USB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
UPnP/DLNA

I have the TX-8270 receiver and like it a lot, but I am trying to stream music to it and I find it's kind of a hit or miss thing to have it show up as a UPnP renderer (I hope I'm using terms correctly). So, in foobar2000, it shows up in the list of Found devices under UPnP MediaRenderer Output and as an output Device (this is using foo_out_upnp)--except when it doesn't. It just goes away for a day or so and then it's back. And though it is currently showing in foobar2000, it doesn't currently appear as an external device in Audirvana.

Has anybody seen anything like this or can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Currently, I have the unit wired by ethernet to the network.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
554 Posts
I also have a few questions about this receiver that hopefully someone out there can answer.

I've owned the TX-8050 for many years now and it's been a great receiver. I play FLAC files from a 2 TB portable hard drive connected via the USB port on the front of the receiver and it works great. However, there are a few things that bug me about it:

1) The receiver does not recognize my 4 TB portable hard drive
2) Lack of gapless playback for digital files
3) It does not recognize .m3u playlist files

Does the TX-8270 do any of these things?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have a few questions about this receiver that hopefully someone out there can answer.

I've owned the TX-8050 for many years now and it's been a great receiver. I play FLAC files from a 2 TB portable hard drive connected via the USB port on the front of the receiver and it works great. However, there are a few things that bug me about it:

1) The receiver does not recognize my 4 TB portable hard drive
2) Lack of gapless playback for digital files
3) It does not recognize .m3u playlist files

Does the TX-8270 do any of these things?

It does play, gaplessly, FLAC files that are on my flash drive. I have not used it with a big music library via USB, so you may want to investigate that aspect more fully. No idea about playlist files.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It does play, gaplessly, FLAC files that are on my flash drive. I have not used it with a big music library via USB, so you may want to investigate that aspect more fully. No idea about playlist files.
Thanks you for taking the time to answer, much appreciated!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Recent irregular electrical service to my house. The circuit that Tx-8720 connected to cycled slowly between 100 volts down to probably 40 or 50 volts. The unit was not on during this period, only plugged in. Now that proper power is restored I find the receiver won't start. I get "Thermal Error" displayed for a few seconds then the unit shuts itself off.

I tried the reset options - hold the on/off button for 5 seconds, and the press tuner mode button with on/off button method, but nothing constructive occurred.

I wonder if there's a DIY solution to this problem. Point being voltage wasn't high, it was way too low so maybe there's a way to correct the problem??

41 - 60 of 61 Posts