AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 50 for $85 each. Now I need to build a system with them.

Specs/Build:

Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

Power Rating 20 - 150 w/channel

Frequency Response 42Hz - 25kHz

Mid/Woofer: 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)

Tweeter: 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)

I'm going to be living in a 5-man college house where we'll mostly use them for music and occasional movies. I don't really want to spend too much on the system considering the risk of it getting damaged. Right now I'm looking for a receiver and currently thinking of either the Onkyo TX-8255 ($170 refurbished/195 new on ebay) or TX-8555 (240 on ebay). Would I benefit from the extra channel wattage in the 8555?

Any suggestions? Also, do you think it would be beneficial for me to get a sub? I don't know how well the floor speakers will cover the bass.

Edit: After more research and shopping around I ended up with a Harman Kardon 3390 factory refurbished from the HK ebay store for $134 shipped. I'll post about the sound whenever it arrives.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yes, I would consider adding a subwoofer. The issue that you may have adding a sub to your system is the Onkyo you are using does not have a sub pre out. You need to get a sub that has speaker wire connections. Many subs have this option. Your Onkyo will get wired to the sub first. Then your two main speakers will run out from the back of the sub. You are a bit more limited running a sub this way, but I believe it is your only choice.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would like to clarify something. Im not sure if you purchased either one of those receivers yet. The Onkyo TX-8255 does not have a sub pre- out. As I put in my last post. The Onkyo TX-8555 does have a pre-out for a sub. So in my opinion the TX-8555 would be the better of the two receivers for running a sub. I over looked the fact that you where considering the TX-8555.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yes, you would also benefit from the extra wattage that the TX-8555 has to offer. I would always pick more watts than less. Your material will almost always sound cleaner and more vibrant with more available watts. I have owned both a 60 watt and a 100 watt stereo receiver and the 100 watts sounds better. Don't forget that your mains only rely on the receiver for power. Your sub will have its own amp inside it providing its power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.