AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this receiver (yea I know, time to trade up) anyway, I have it configured to "small" for my center, bookshelf and surround speakers, my question is this, with this settings what is the cut off in terms of bass being sent to the speakers and the sub. In other words my sub cross over is set at about .80hz so my assumption is all bass below that frequency will be reproduced by my sub, and the bass above that should be gonig to the center, LR and surronds.

I'm just curious if anyone knows how the crossover is set on this receiver if the speakers are configured to small as opposed to setting them to large.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
That information should be in your manual. Unless it is a very feature poor AVR the crossover settings are flexible - to a point. The more you spend the more flexibility increases.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16916202

That information should be in your manual. Unless it is a very feature poor AVR the crossover settings are flexible - to a point. The more you spend the more flexibility increases.

If the manual gave this information, I wouldn't be in here asking. It's an older AVR, so I guess it's "feature poor". By the way thanks for the negative, no help at all reply.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
My answer wasn't negative in any way - however your comeback certainly was.

Next time look the crap up for yourself.

Just FYI the info is in the manual.

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16921630

My answer wasn't negative in any way - however your comeback certainly was.

Next time look the crap up for yourself.

Just FYI the info is in the manual.

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems?

I asked if anyone knew this information, I didn't ask for your two cents in regards to my "feature poor" AVR, or your revolation which stated

"The more you spend the more flexibility increases". You didn't have the information yet you felt compelled to inform me that I had a feature poor avr, and that I might want to check my manual (duhhhhhhhh), or spend more money.

I've checked the manual and it DOES NOT provide that specific information, so you are wrong on that point. I'll make a deal with ya sport, if I ask a question and you DON'T know the answer, don't respond, I'll do like wise, okay precious.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccsdad /forum/post/16935356

I asked if anyone knew this information, I didn't ask for your two cents in regards to my "feature poor" AVR, or your revolation which stated

"The more you spend the more flexibility increases". You didn't have the information yet you felt compelled to inform me that I had a feature poor avr, and that I might want to check my manual (duhhhhhhhh), or spend more money.

I've checked the manual and it DOES NOT provide that specific information, so you are wrong on that point. I'll make a deal with ya sport, if I ask a question and you DON'T know the answer, don't respond, I'll do like wise, okay precious.

With an attitude like that your bound to get lots of help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no attitude; I just don't understand why you felt compelled to answer a post you had no real answer for. I've checked my manual it does not show the difference between the freq pass through between the small and large speaker parameter settings. You've stated it does, I KNOW it does not, if you've found this information in the manual, tell me the page it was on and I'll check it out, if I'm wrong I will offer a public apology to you.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
The answer is 'half' there. You have to assume the rest. And thats about as close as I can come to answering your question. You are half correct - the manual does not give a crossover figure. I'd assume its probably close to 80-100 for small speakers and probably dumps all the low frequencies into large speakers if you have no sub - as it should. With a sub it may have a crossover setting at or around 40hz. The manual does not say.

As for the sub settings - I'd set the cutoff on the sub rather than let the AVR to help prevent localizing of low frequency sound.

As for you defining my first response as smart assed - as I said - I don't do that. Look at my prior posts if you like. I try to be helpful on these forums when the subject is something I have experience with. Sorry you find me anything but helpful - but you simply misread my intentions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My assumption is if I set the speaker parameters to small, and the pass through on that setting is 80 and below, I should set my sub cut off at 80. My AVR has two settings small and large, so I have to use one of them, I just wanted to make sure my cut off on my sub was set accordingly.

By they way, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your initial response.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccsdad /forum/post/16940204

My assumption is if I set the speaker parameters to small, and the pass through on that setting is 80 and below, I should set my sub cut off at 80. My AVR has two settings small and large, so I have to use one of them, I just wanted to make sure my cut off on my sub was set accordingly.

By they way, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your initial response.

You can play around with the settings to see what sounds best to you - but yes - setting the fronts to small and the sub cutoff at 80hz should work well. Setting the sub cutoff any higher and you start getting localized low frequency - somewhere around 100hz or above depending on the person low frequencies tend to be localized - you can detect where the sound is coming from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts