Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering buying an Onkyo TX-DS898 and have some question I hope someone can help me with.

1. Is there any owners manual available to download somewhere ?

2. Is it possibe to send the 5.1 left surround sound to both the left side and left back speaker simultaneously (the same for right) ?

I.e I want to have 2 left surround speakers and two right súrround speakers when listening to normal 5.1. This is something the Denon 3802 can do.

3. Does anyone know of any store or online dealer that could sell a 898 that can be switched between 120volts and 220volts (or only 220volt version) ?

(I want to use the reciever in Sweden but it costs around $2.3k to buy here and I will soon travel to L.A.).

4. Will the 898 remote work together with the X10 powermid remote extender (My current Kenwood does not) ?

Thanks,

H-B

·
Registered
114 Posts
I own a 989 which the 898 is very similar to

1. I belive you can download the manual from the ONKYO site

2. The 989 will play all four surround speaker in the 5.1 mode, just go into settings and turn them on.

I just checked and the even play in the pro logic mode :)

George

·
Registered
254 Posts
I own a 898 and it can definitely send the 5.1 surround to all of the rear speakers.

And about the remote... It is the same remote that the 696 and 797 has, and it will work with some X10 modules, (as long as you have the original remote), but I don't know about the X10 extender... I don't know why your other remote won't work with it though b/c it just changes the IR signal to RF, and then back into IR to control the component.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The manual is not yet up at any of the sites AFAIK. I've been checking. It will probably be up by the end of the year.

Keep in mind the European version is different from the US version. So it may be worth some of the extra cost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

cgull: I don't know either why the kenwood doesn't work. I assume the kenwood is special in some way and that the X-10 extender is not able to reproduce it. I don't want to end up with a reciever I can't remote control. At the moment I have to run in to the next room when I want to adjust the volume ... :-(

Good news about the possibility to have two left surronds and two right surronds for 5.1

Spiky: In what way is the European version different from the US (apart from voltage) ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you go to www.onkyo.net , you will see the specs of the Euro 898. IMO, it is worth more than the US version. Just from the little I have looked at it, it has the Pronto style remote, and a serial port for seperate control units. I wish the US had the same 898 as Europe!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.