Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to narrow down my choice for a new receiver and these two units seem to be the front runners.

Given that both can be had for around the same price, the Onkyo seems to have the slight edge with a bit more power at 130 watts x7 at 8 ohms, not to mention the fact that it has the THX certification.

My primary use is for home theatre and I'll be powering a 5.1 Diva set-up, and will probably add an additional pair of surrounds down the road. Also, this is NOT a big room at aprox. 15"x12".

A third choice might be the closest Integra model for a bit more cash.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

H

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry that I can't help you with your decision, since I am trying to decide on a new receiver myself. But - unfortunately - I have all but eliminated Onkyo products from my list because of the Q/C problems they appear to be having lately. Specifically the 'ticking' problem which Onkyo admits to exist but is taking far too long for them to correct.

(more info here)

Too bad, since I was leaning toward the Onkyo 797 :mad:

KC

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KC,

Thanks for the info as I was not aware of this! I find this very surprising as many people have the 797 and the 898...this sounds like a real pain in the A.

This is obviously going to puch me back toward the Denon.

H

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's my understanding that Onkyo has resolved the quality issues related to the ticking noise in the 797. Something to do with a particular DSP chip?

In any event, the 3802 is more of a competitor to the 797 not the 898. The 3802 and 797 are in the same approximate price range of $750 to $800. The 898 is typically $1,100 plus.

The 898 is a nice receiver, but if you don't need the extra rear surrounds right now, consider the 797. The 797 has pre-amp outs to accommodate a rear channel amp when you decide you want it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have owned a 3802 for 6 months now and have had no problems. I vote the Denon. I paid $750.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy,

Thanks for your input. I'm finding this a bit of a difficult decision. I like the fact that the 898 is THX certified...in order to get THX with the Denon you have to move up to the 4802...a nice receiver, but also a lot more expensive. If the ticking is truly resolved this is good to know...if there are any noise inconsistencies I'm going to notice!

Farscape66,

Nice to hear from another Diva fan (mine won't actually be happening 'til later this summer. Where did you get such a good price on the 3802? If I knew of a good deal on the 4802 I might even consider waiting a bit longer.

Beware of Peace Keepers bearing gifts!;)

Howie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.