AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first home theater setup, primarily for the purpose of watching TV and movies and listening to music from my HTPC. I just picked up two floorstanding speakers (e Andrew Jones-designed SP-FS52-LR's) and the matching center. Because I'm in an apartment, I will not have a sub or rears, so I'll be working with a 3.0 setup.

On accessories4less, I can buy a refurbished Onkyo TX-Nr515 or, for the same price, I can get the Denon AVR-1613. Which should I prefer?

As I see it, the advantages of the Onkyo are:

1. Better iOS app and better usability

2. Spotify (but I can stream Spotify to the Denon over AirPlay)

The advantages of the Denon are:

1. MultiEQ instead of Onkyo's 2EQ (but does that matter for 3.0 setups?)

2. AirPlay integration (but I already have an Airport Express and can get the same functionality by running an optical cable to the Onkyo)

3. Potentially lower chance of a lemon (I've read that Onkyo had some firmware problems is year)

Which should I get?

I ruled out the Denon AVR-1713 because it is $80 more, and given my 3.0 setup I assumed it wasn't worth paying a 1/3 price increase to bump up to MultiEQ XT. Was I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or should I look elsewhere? Another thread suggests that Yamaha has a reputation for reliability. Should I look for a refurbished Yamaha?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would prefer to keep my budget around the $200 and I need to keep it under $300 or so. Should I be looking at different models?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump. Is there no help for the widow's son? I am strongly leaning towards the Denon AVS-1613 at this point. Am I making a mistake?

·
Premium Member
7,493 Posts
MultEQ XT is worth the jump in price. Most refurbished receivers come with a 1 year warranty so that is better than nothing I suppose.

·
Registered
375 Posts
PM me and I can sell you my 1613. I had an Onkyo 605 and I got the Denon 1613 and there was a huge upgrade in sound due to the MultEQ XT. If you heard the difference between the two, there really is no comparison. I got my 1613 in January and my wife fell in love with a house that is pre-wired for 7.1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts