AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm looking to get a new receiver to replace my Pioneer 816 and was looking at the Onkyo, Denon ans Marantz.

All 3 are in the same price range. Around 1-1.2K$ (canadian)

I can audition te Marantz and Denon but the Onkyo was seen on internet.

What would be the pro's and con's of those receivers.

Planning to buy new speaker as well to replace my Fluance 5.0 kit. Maybe Paradigm or B&W, i just started to look so i'm not very familiar with these speakers.

The setup will be a 5.1 for now and next year will move to a 7.1.

Thx everyone.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
My vote goes to the Denon out of these. Just make sure whatever brand/model you choose has the pre-outs for adding an amp in the future if you should want to in the future. May not need it but then again with the power ratings of some of today's AVR's I wouldn't chance it. You may also want to give the Yamaha Aventage series a look along with your other choices.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youg /forum/post/19507378

Hi, i'm looking to get a new receiver to replace my Pioneer 816 and was looking at the Onkyo, Denon ans Marantz.

All 3 are in the same price range. Around 1-1.2K$ (canadian)

I can audition te Marantz and Denon but the Onkyo was seen on internet.

What would be the pro's and con's of those receivers.

Planning to buy new speaker as well to replace my Fluance 5.0 kit. Maybe Paradigm or B&W, i just started to look so i'm not very familiar with these speakers.

The setup will be a 5.1 for now and next year will move to a 7.1.

Thx everyone.

You're really not giving enough info to get much more than fan-boy responses. Why are you replacing the old one and what feature set do you need in a new one? What are your sources? Etc....

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Any of the ones he has listed will be a major upgrade over what he is using now. May be that he just wants a new and better AVR.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I started a thread look at the onkyo 1008, denon 3311 and the yamaha 2000. You can find it. It comes down to feature/price trade offs. I am definitely leaning towards the Onkyo. For me the 3311 had too many trade offs However with no cost constraints I would have leaned towards 4311. I have some other unexpected issues that are delaying the purchase but will get there soon. You will have to determine what is important to you. There is really no wrong decision.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19507691

Any of the ones he has listed will be a major upgrade over what he is using now. May be that he just wants a new and better AVR.

Sorry, the old Pioneer has a weird and rare problem. Most of the time, the center channel sound is going on and off, same thing for the front speakers. To correct this, i have to crank the volume up to get the sound back but sometimes it will works for 10 secondes or one hour. (like that http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=98729

The problem seem to be a solder or a connector on one of the card that keep geeting loose and there is no easy way to resolder it. It's big like "hair size" and cranking the volume up gets more power to the faulty connector and i get the sound back. Lately, even turning the volume up all the way is not working anymore.

Right now the receiver will be use in a 15x12 feet room. 5.1 system.

I'll be buying a house next year so i'll need another receiver as i want to do a bigger home theater (projector...), i think the Onkyo would be great in a bigger room.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19507691

May be that he just wants a new and better AVR.

Xmas is coming and yes, i wanted to upgrade my system to another level if i can say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts