AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the Onkyo TX-NR1009 is out, I am seeing a lot of the last models starting to come down in price. The one that has me most interested is the TX-NR3008. As this is about the same price as the TX-NR1009, if you can find someone who has it. They seem to be selling fast.

Other than some obvious power differences, and a couple features like Spotify, what am I really looking at in positives or cons of one over the other? Are the differences more along the lines of a true audiophile will be the only person to pick up on them? Would your average Joe know the difference between the two in terms of features and what not. I guess I am referring to some of the internal components (Burr Brown vs. Burr Brown X6, or Marvell Qdeo vs. HQV Reon)?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canuck_1989 /forum/post/20865254

So now that the Onkyo TX-NR1009 is out, I am seeing a lot of the last models starting to come down in price. The one that has me most interested is the TX-NR3008. As this is about the same price as the TX-NR1009, if you can find someone who has it. They seem to be selling fast.

Other than some obvious power differences, and a couple features like Spotify, what am I really looking at in positives or cons of one over the other? Are the differences more along the lines of a true audiophile will be the only person to pick up on them? Would your average Joe know the difference between the two in terms of features and what not. I guess I am referring to some of the internal components (Burr Brown vs. Burr Brown X6, or Marvell Qdeo vs. HQV Reon)?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

1009 has Audyssey MultEQ XT while 3008 has Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

XT32 (vs XT) has 32(!!) times more filter resolution for the non-subwoofer channels and 4 times more filter resolution for the subwoofer channels.

That boils down to over 10,000 correction points to shape the frequency response for EACH speaker channel...

Makes a BIG difference if you have a troublesome room with re to acoustics.

Disregard the new upcoming 3009, it only adds 4K video upscaling (who needs that?)

and support for some more lossy audio streaming and it is about twice the

price as the 3008.

Where I live, the price for a new 3008 is about 70% of the 1009 so it is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I agree. Especially if using dual Subwoofers as the 3008 also has SubEQ HT. The 1009 will probably have slightly better Video Processing, but the Reon in the 3008 is quite good.

Otherwise, the 1009 is compatible with the new WiFi Dongle and the new Onkyo Android/iPhone App. Otherwise, the 3008 having XT32/SubEQ HT, stronger Amplifier Stage, etc, would make it my call as well. Or to put it another way, I would not trade my 3008 for a 1009 and I am not remotely interested in the 3009 as it does not offer any major upgrades over the 3008.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canuck_1989 /forum/post/20865254

The one that has me most interested is the TX-NR3008. As this is about the same price as the TX-NR1009, if you can find someone who has it. They seem to be selling fast.

You guys are so lucky.

Out here in Australia, the 1008 still costs about $2000. I shudder at the thought of how much we'd still have to pay for the 3008, and it will still be a few months before the 1009 even makes an appearance.

Price we pay for living in the 'lucky country' I suppose, although, I don't feel so lucky having to pay these kinds of prices for my home theatre goods.

That said, if I could get them for about the same, there's no way I'd choose the 1009 over the 3008. What with being the owner of a 1007 though, I'd have to be honest in that it's unlikely I'll buy Onkyo again.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would stay away from the 08 series myself due to the number of post on the 08 failure thread. I have no idea what the percentage is but some people are waiting a long time to get their receiver back. The 1009 or 3009 would be a safer bet I believe. From what I've heard, they don't run hot like the older models so there is a chance they will last longer than the previous models. I'm not putting down Onkyo or starting an argument, just giving the op the info so he can make his own decision.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. This is excellent information. I still have some time before I buy, but it does seem that everyone is leaning towards the 3008. I currently have a HK 635, so I am looking forward to the updates and loosing some extra components (HDMI switch, 7.1 audio switch, etc). I know the misses will be happy to see less components.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20865593

I would stay away from the 08 series myself due to the number of post on the 08 failure thread. I have no idea what the percentage is but some people are waiting a long time to get their receiver back. The 1009 or 3009 would be a safer bet I believe. From what I've heard, they don't run hot like the older models so there is a chance they will last longer than the previous models. I'm not putting down Onkyo or starting an argument, just giving the op the info so he can make his own decision.

I have heard about some of the issues, but it seems to be a simple fix, and one that Onkyo has come forward with. But yes, having to wait a while to get it back is not a good thing. Something to consider though.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20865593

I would stay away from the 08 series myself due to the number of post on the 08 failure thread. I have no idea what the percentage is but some people are waiting a long time to get their receiver back. The 1009 or 3009 would be a safer bet I believe. From what I've heard, they don't run hot like the older models so there is a chance they will last longer than the previous models. I’m not putting down Onkyo or starting an argument, just giving the op the info so he can make his own decision.

Well at least with the 08 series, it is the devil you know. What issues will come with the 09 series? The 09 series offer nothing really ground shaking unless you consider DTS Neo X (the Pepsi to Audyssey's Coke) and 4k Video processor (useless for most). A person is better off getting a 08 series for the price you will get it verses the 09 series.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are people's take on the Spotify addition. I am quite fond of it, and use it daily (I work from home). I suppose it would be a nice addition, but does anyone see this as a firmware update, or thats one of the new "perks" to get you to buy the 09. I think I read that people are not expecting it, but again, I am just trying to pick people's thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts