AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together an Atmos home theater and have narrowed down my receiver to either the Onkyo TX-NR3030 or the Integra DTR-70.6. I want to purchase a receiver that is hdcp 2.2 compatible for 4k content but not sure it is worth spending the additional money to get the Integra as all I hear is that Onkyo and the Integra is essentially the same product.

What would you choose for an Atmos system that is hdcp 2.2 compatible?

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
The HDCP 2.2 specification is not finalized yet (at least not that I've heard). Any product that is claiming HDCP 2.2 compatibility has to be guessing about what the final specification will be and hoping they made the right choice. Some products advertising HDCP 2.2 will note "when available via firmware update" or something like that.

The differences are: Onkyo - has Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connectivity. Integra does not,
Integra has a second wired IR input and a 3rd 12 volt DC trigger and an HDBaseT connection (HDMI over Ethernet LAN cable, to use this you would need another converter on the other end of the Ethernet cable to convert that signal back to an HDMI signal/cable). For both products, amp specs are the same, signal-to-noise spec is the same, weights are within 0.9 pounds of each other. Back panels look identical except for the few differences in connections. Power consumption specs are identical. Oh, and Integra warranty is 3 years vs 2 years for Onkyo. Those are the differences I've found so far.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't the consumer have to pay to ship the unit to Denon? I would imagine at the weight of the receiver, for 3-5 day shipping range to be $150-200 via UPS with insurance. I do agree the Denon is a great unit though.

Denon X7200W with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 will be hardware upgradeable to HDCP 2.2 likely starting in June, or should be available off the production line as the X7200WA around that same time. Now also shipping with a free Denon HEOS Link (MSRP $349). :)

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Don't the consumer have to pay to ship the unit to Denon? I would imagine at the weight of the receiver, for 3-5 day shipping range to be $150-200 via UPS with insurance. I do agree the Denon is a great unit though.
Denon told me it would be a firmware update. The interface was designed to be compatible with HDCP 2.2 but since the specification is not final, nobody knows exactly how to program the interface yet. Once HDCP 2.2 is finalized, they can work on the programming, create a firmware update and distribute it, generally via internet download.

Shipping for a 50-pound AVR would be more like $45 for Ground shipping (usually 1 to 5 days depending on how far the package is going) without insurance and something like 35 cents per $100 of value for insurance. So somewhere around $10 extra for insurance for full retail price. (Just a guess, but I use FedEx and UPS a lot for incoming and outgoing equipment).

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
Denon told me it would be a firmware update. The interface was designed to be compatible with HDCP 2.2 but since the specification is not final, nobody knows exactly how to program the interface yet. Once HDCP 2.2 is finalized, they can work on the programming, create a firmware update and distribute it, generally via internet download.

Shipping for a 50-pound AVR would be more like $45 for Ground shipping (usually 1 to 5 days depending on how far the package is going) without insurance and something like 35 cents per $100 of value for insurance. So somewhere around $10 extra for insurance for full retail price. (Just a guess, but I use FedEx and UPS a lot for incoming and outgoing equipment).
The CSR you spoke with was likely confusing the possible "software" DTS upgrade with the HDCP 2.2 upgrade. The HDCP 2.2 upgrade is a "hardware" update, not "software" and will indeed require the unit to be sent in for the upgrade if purchased prior to the new hardware being installed on the production line later this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of putting together an Atmos home theater and have narrowed down my receiver to either the Onkyo TX-NR3030 or the Integra DTR-70.6. I want to purchase a receiver that is hdcp 2.2 compatible for 4k content but not sure it is worth spending the additional money to get the Integra as all I hear is that Onkyo and the Integra is essentially the same product.

Integra receivers have several other interesting différences with the Onkyo similar model
The most important one is that they have better sellected electronic parts in the power supply board that
improves the sound drasticly. We have been doing some test and Integra really plays better.
They have an extended warranty ( in my country , Belgium),
They also have special features for custom installers that enable to memorize settings.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

I prefer a all in one AVR with 11ch pwr = Integra 70.6,,,but their newer models are coming out as you can see in the 40.7 & 50.7 with 384 DAC's opposed to everyone else's 194 and all the other features expected in a new AVR like HCCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.0a / DTS-X / Atmos / UHD etc.

Plus I have read people getting the 2 box count to do the 7.1.4 but the 2nd amp running the 2 rear heights buzzes and pops = a no go for me when I can def wait a few months np.

So if you don't want to deal with 2 box counts for a 7.1.4 config I'd wait for the 70.7 they say will be coming soon. Otherwise maybe Denon and others will come out with 11ch self pwr in 2016. I wanted to complete my set up earlier rather than later... but oh well gives me more time to save up I spect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.