AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Joe or any body, ... questions: Does burr-brown make any differences in sound quality?

Because the Onkyo TX-NR5007 has "Burr-Brown (PCM1795)

While the Onkyo TX-NR3007 has Burr-Brown(PCM1796)

Another question is does Massive Toroidal Transformer really matter in the High end Receivers? Because the TX-NR3007 has a non Toroidal Transformer.

Those are the 2 things that are holding me back from making my decisions. I got my eyes on the 3007, but if those specs make difference then, I minus well go for the 5007.

Any thoughts?

I know its not out yet, but these specs on paper make me ponder.

Oh yea I'm waiting for Joe to review before I make my purchase.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Tough one. Feature set it would seem Onkyo, though it looks like it be positioned higher than the AVR-4810. Rear connections for non HDMI sources I would say Denon. Looks wise Denon. Hmm.

·
Premium Member
24,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/17036498

Tough one. Feature set it would seem Onkyo, though it looks like it be positioned higher than the AVR-4810. Rear connections for non HDMI sources I would say Denon. Looks wise Denon. Hmm.

It is a tough one paper for sure. I am only going to play with the 5007 since it only has what you mentioned above the 3007. Might as well go straight to the top.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm so glad Onkyo finally added firmware updates from the Ethernet port. Now if they would only create a receiver manager website, that would bring them up to par with Denon's Ethernert port functionality. Since Onkyo was the first to put an Ethernet port on a receiver, they are my sentimental favorite, but up until now they haven't done much with it.

I do like the THX modes on almost all the Onkyo's, this puts them one up on the Denons, in my book. If the 5007 also has Dolby Volume, then that will probably turn me!

Last difference I consider is the VP. I wish Onkyo used the ABT2010 (with PREP), but its Reon VX-50 implemention is very good. You gotta love the ISF ccc spec-compliant video adjustments. A pretty good trade off for lack of GUI over picture (and if Onkyo had a web manager, it wouldn't matter). I just worry about the future of Reon, given their parent company's recent bankruptcy & sale of VP tech to new owner.

This is shaping up to be a real good fight! That new PR-SC5507 Onkyo Pre-pro will leave me heady, and helpless to resist.

·
Premium Member
24,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnybone /forum/post/17037825

Joerod,

Any idea on availability. I've seen the 3007 listed on Best Buy Magnolia with a mid September delivery but no 5007. Best I can find when searching is a Europe only availability.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few online sellers ended up with stock within a week or so... Just a hunch...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Looking through the manuals/feature sets for both the 4810 and the Onkyo 5007, a couple of things stick out....

#1 - The 5007 Burr-Brown 192/32 DACs,

4810 Burr-Brown 192/24

#2 - 5007 THX Ultra2 Plus certified

4810... not

#3 - 4810 11.1 capable

#4 - 5007 8 HDMI inputs

4810 6 HDMI inputs

#5 - 4810 DenonLink 4

5007.... no

#6 - 4810 ABT Video Processing

5007 HQV Reon-VX Advantage? unknown

#7 - 4810 WiFi

5007... no

#8 - 5007 55.1 lbs

4810 42.2

#9 - 5007 145 watts

4810 140 watts

#10 - 4810 HD Radio included

5007 need to purchase an adaptor

So there's my top 10 differences, in no particular order.

What do you guys think?

dc

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I wonder how the 5007 32bit DACs will sound compared to the 4810 24bit DACs?

I know the 24bit DACs sound pretty darn good in the 4310

But can 32bit DACs really make a difference?

Or will it just look good on paper?

dc

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to own the Onkyo TX-NR5007 for about 5 months and I sold it. The receiver was awesome as far as power and features! I matched the receiver with Polk Audio Lsi-25's, Lsi-C, and Lsi-9's. Sounded amazing!

However, within a couple of months one of the HDMI's ports went out. I contacted Onkyo and had to deal with unprofessional pricks! They do not have a clue when it comes to customer service. They basically told me I had to spend my own money to package and ship out the receiver and it can take up to a month or longer to get it repaired and back to me. I was pissed off since I only had the receiver for a couple of months. My argument was take care of me since the receiver was practically new. But they would not budge. I will never go with an Onkyo for that reason again! Even though I was under their manufactures warranty; the service sucked!

Don

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 /forum/post/18231323

I used to own the Onkyo TX-NR5007 for about 5 months and I sold it. The receiver was awesome as far as power and features! I matched the receiver with Polk Audio Lsi-25's, Lsi-C, and Lsi-9's. Sounded amazing!

However, within a couple of months one of the HDMI's ports went out. I contacted Onkyo and had to deal with unprofessional pricks! They do not have a clue when it comes to customer service. They basically told me I had to spend my own money to package and ship out the receiver and it can take up to a month or longer to get it repaired and back to me. I was pissed off since I only had the receiver for a couple of months. My argument was take care of me since the receiver was practically new. But they would not budge. I will never go with an Onkyo for that reason again! Even though I was under their manufactures warranty; the service sucked!

Don

Most companies will make you pay for your own shipping when sending a unit in for warranty service. They will then pay to ship the unit back to you. It is what it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts