AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently got a great deal on 2 Martin Logan Aerius i and a Cinema. I was very far behind the times on the HT system as all I have for a receiver is an old Onkyo DTR6. It lacks the power to fully drive the ML's bass drivers. I am actually impressed that the Onkyo can make the ML's sound decent at all, so I am thinking of buying the Onkyo TX NR5008 as a replacement.

I don't want to be disappointed, and would rather save a bit more if necessary if the new Onkyo won't match up well with the ML's. Anyone have any experience with the both of them, or similar ML's? and any recommendations on surround speakers? Right now I have a 12" Definitve powered Sub and 2 Polk Audio Dipole rears that still seem decent.

I have looked at the NAD T785, but at almost 3x the price, I am wondering if it would be 3x the experience...

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Martin Logans like that are known to be a little difficult to power. They are 4ohm and the 5008 is 4ohm stable. If it where me I would not use the 5008. I would get another Onkyo lower in the chain of receivers. Look for a receiver that has all the bells and whistles that you want, and of course pre outs for all channels. Then I would purchase some sort of dedicated amplification. Dedicated amplifiers will do a better job with those Martin Logans. I would most likely get a 2 channel amp and also a 3 or 5 channel amp for the rest of the speakers. A lot of this would depend on if your going with a 5.1 or 7.1 system. You could also get a 3 channel amp for the front 3 channels and then let the receiver power the surrounds. There are many choices here. Have a look at Emotiva. They have some affordable options as far as amplifiers go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19524610

Martin Logans like that are known to be a little difficult to power. They are 4ohm and the 5008 is 4ohm stable.

Did you mean it is not 4 ohm stable? If that is the case, yea, that would be an issue. Manual says it is...

Quote:
If it where me I would not use the 5008. I would get another Onkyo lower in the chain of receivers. Look for a receiver that has all the bells and whistles that you want, and of course pre outs for all channels.

This was definitely one possibility I thought about. But that brings up another question. Is an Onkyo a good choice for this? meaning are their preouts decent? Using my old receiver, I hooked up a Adcom 545, and then a well rated home built Tripath based amp on my current receivers preouts, but surprisingly the Onko internal amp sounded much better. I am not sure if it was truly that the Onkyo sounded better, or if the preouts just murder the sound, which has happened to me in the past on other receivers.

Quote:
Then I would purchase some sort of dedicated amplification. Dedicated amplifiers will do a better job with those Martin Logans. I would most likely get a 2 channel amp and also a 3 or 5 channel amp for the rest of the speakers. A lot of this would depend on if your going with a 5.1 or 7.1 system. You could also get a 3 channel amp for the front 3 channels and then let the receiver power the surrounds. There are many choices here. Have a look at Emotiva. They have some affordable options as far as amplifiers go.

Nice! Never heard of Emotiva before. Thanks for the tip. The price makes it tempting to buy one, just to try it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The 5008 is 4ohm stable. For all the money you would have wrapped up in getting a 5008. You would be better off getting a cheaper receiver and then investing in dedicated amplification. The dedicated amplification will walk all over the amplifiers in the 5008. You will most likely save money in the end and have much better power from the dedicated amps. I have several Emotiva amps and they will put the amps in my Onkyo 805 to shame. The 805 is a very good receiver with a strong amp section. My suggestion is don't get the most expensive receiver. The 5008 is not worth the money. Unless you can get one for a discount. Possibly from Newegg. Then I would still get a dedicated amp or amps to use with the Onkyo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts