AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In layman terms what does this mean.

"The big difference between the two units is that the TX-NR3009 uses 24-bit TI Burr-Brown DACs for each channel and a high-current power supply with large 18,000 µF capacitors and a large EI transformer. The TX-NR5009, on the other hand, has two 22,000 µF capacitors, with dedicated transformers for audio and video. The digital audio section uses 192 kHz/32-bit TI Burr-Brown DACs on all channels, coupled to a 32-bit DSP chip."

I'm trying to decide which one of these two units to buy!

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbevins /forum/post/20858142

It means you might not hear much difference - maybe none - & most likely nothing.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I really think Onkyo shot themselves in the Foot by not offering simultaneous 11.2 Support in at least the 5009. If they had done so, there would finally be a real and substantial step up Feature over the 3009.

As it stands, both use the same 32 Bit DSP Chips with the 5009 again sporting 192/32 DAC's and a Toroidal Transformer as opposed to a EL Core and slightly more rated Power Consumption.

Certainly for a 3008/5008 Owner, there is next to no substantial reasons to upgrade. If an 805/875/905/876/906 Owner than it would be worth considering.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 5007, but using an external amps for everything - I can't see any real compelling reason to move to a 5009. The upgrade of the HDMI from 1.3b to 1.4 is nice, but I don't have anything that requires it, and my projector is only 1.3b. if I did upgrade, it would probably be from the 5007 to the 3009. Paying extra for the amplifier specs in the 5009 over a 3009 wouldn't apply to me due to using external amps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
McIntosh tells me that my $12,000 MX150 is not worth the effort to upgrade for every "box" ( as they put it that a Roku HD is a -"box" ) ., so that the MX 150 can support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 passthrough. So I am about to sell my MC 206 and MX 150 combo worth an estimated $10,000 ++ for a $1600 Onkyo 3009 that I can Bi-amp, control from my ipad or Iphone, three zones, plenty of Watts for a 7.1 set up. ( 140 watts a channel ) even with the bi-amp of my two fronts for music, not to mention replacing my roku. !!! I am farther ahead and put $10,000 into my SL 65 Mercedes instead. I still have a Mac set up in my zone two Plus using McIntosh spekers in my theater and that way I dont feel so guilty doing this to an old friend- . (My first Macs were two 40's we used in 63 for a P.A system for a rock band... I just aged myself) !!! : D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
TX-NR5009 vs TX-NR3009:

- torodial vs. "normal" transformer

- 32 bit vs 24 bit DACs

- 22.000 µF vs. 18.000 µF capacitors in power supply

- 220 watts vs 200 watts per channel power (single channel)

- 4 optical vs 3 optical inputs

Those are the differences, which are listed explicitly by Onkyo.

Nothing really special, at least to me, which would explain the given difference in price.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgersic /forum/post/20870669

I have a 5007, but using an external amps for everything - I can't see any real compelling reason to move to a 5009. The upgrade of the HDMI from 1.3b to 1.4 is nice, but I don't have anything that requires it, and my projector is only 1.3b. if I did upgrade, it would probably be from the 5007 to the 3009. Paying extra for the amplifier specs in the 5009 over a 3009 wouldn't apply to me due to using external amps.

The biggest benefit of upgrading from the 5007 to the 3009 or 5009 would be Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Same applies to the x08 series, which might be available as bargains or secondhand now.

Kind Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
27,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey /forum/post/21078885

Exactly, although this has been offered by the xxx8 series already.

Some even think, that the new codec DTS Neo:X is worth a try...

I didn't realise that post I replied to was so old. I thought I was in another thread! Age...

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated x009 series thread along the lines of the couple of good 3008/5008 threads.

Kind Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbevins /forum/post/20858142

"The big difference between the two units is that the TX-NR3009 uses 24-bit TI Burr-Brown DACs for each channel and a high-current power supply with large 18,000 µF capacitors and a large EI transformer. The TX-NR5009, on the other hand, has two 22,000 µF capacitors, with dedicated transformers for audio and video. The digital audio section uses 192 kHz/32-bit TI Burr-Brown DACs on all channels, coupled to a 32-bit DSP chip."

I'm trying to decide which one of these two units to buy!

which one did you buy ? Please share us your experience!

thanks

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The "compelling" reason is Audysseyx MultEQ XT32. which is supposed to make a major difference in SQ.

It has been inside the xxx8 series already but there is hope that the all around quality has improved with xxx9 series.

The video section seems to be improved from the older Reon too.

The rest i wouldn't probably care much about, because i doubt, if anyone would really hear a difference.

I chose to get the 5509 plus external amps for my dedicated HT and the 3009 for the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgersic /forum/post/20870669

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

It really is surprising to me that Onkyo offers both the 3000 and 5000 Series with the Feature Sets being almost identical and the differences in Amplifier Stage not being that large.

Truth be told, it is hard for me to justify the added expense of the 5009 as it to me is the embodiment of the point of diminishing returns. I realize some find it important to own the Flagship, but the juice is just not worth the squeeze. As I Posted prior, if Onkyo had made the 5009 support simultaneous 11.2 Output like the Denon AVR-4311/A100 then there would be a clear cut reason for the added expense of the 5009.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
6,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/21189611

Hello,

It really is surprising to me that Onkyo offers both the 3000 and 5000 Series with the Feature Sets being almost identical and the differences in Amplifier Stage not being that large.

Truth be told, it is hard for me to justify the added expense of the 5009 as it to me is the embodiment of the point of diminishing returns. I realize some find it important to own the Flagship, but the juice is just not worth the squeeze. As I Posted prior, if Onkyo had made the 5009 support simultaneous 11.2 Output like the Denon AVR-4311/A100 then there would be a clear cut reason for the added expense of the 5009.

Cheers,

AD

There are a few more bells and whistles in the 3009/5009

and to me...the newer unit look better cosmetically

But you are using it a s pre/pro..right?

My thought is get the Onkyo 5509 pre/pro...and get the access to Audessey pro for ultimate tweakability

Warren

·
Registered
27,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/21218633

There are a few more bells and whistles in the 3009/5009

and to me...the newer unit look better cosmetically

But you are using it a s pre/pro..right?

My thought is get the Onkyo 5509 pre/pro...and get the access to Audessey pro for ultimate tweakability

Warren

There's a discussion going on in the 5508 thread that the 5509 isn't going to be released in the USA. No idea if it's true or not but it's what people are saying. They're saying the Integra 80.3 is the same thing and that's the only one that will be available in the US as Onkyo tries to rationalise its product line on the grounds of economy.

TBH unless one wants the Audyssey-Pro capability, it makes sense to buy the 3009 and use it as a pre-pro.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 /forum/post/21218647

There's a discussion going on in the 5508 thread that the 5509 isn't going to be released in the USA. No idea if it's true or not but it's what people are saying. They're saying the Integra 80.3 is the same thing and that's the only one that will be available in the US as Onkyo tries to rationalise its product line on the grounds of economy.

TBH unless one wants the Audyssey-Pro capability, it makes sense to buy the 3009 and use it as a pre-pro.

Hello,

I sure hope that is not the case with there not being a 5509 in the here. With Integra, it is much harder to get Discounts, seldom will Ship and none actually should per the guidelines I believe, and that Silver Knob. Maybe the Silver Knob just bothers me, but I also like the Hidden Door on the Onkyo Series. I realize the Integra not having them is a nod to the Installer Market which Integra is mostly aimed at.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
27,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/21218933

Hello,

I sure hope that is not the case with there not being a 5509 in the here. With Integra, it is much harder to get Discounts, seldom will Ship and none actually should per the guidelines I believe, and that Silver Knob. Maybe the Silver Knob just bothers me, but I also like the Hidden Door on the Onkyo Series. I realize the Integra not having them is a nod to the Installer Market which Integra is mostly aimed at.

Cheers,

AD

Couldn't agree more AD. This is what I just wrote in the 5508 thread:

"Whichever way we cut it, Jeff, the fact remains that if the 80.3 costs more than the identically-featured 5509, the customer is getting a raw deal by Onkyo's decision not to offer the cheaper 5509 in the US market. It is, of course, their decision but IMO it is not a good one and will not make people look favourably on them. If I lived in the States, I would have had to spend more bucks to get the 80.3 than I would have had to spend to get the 5509. Onkyo has cynically decided to deny the US market the 5509 simply because it knows that by doing so, people in my upgrade position will be forced to spend more on the 80.3. If this was truly my position and I did live in the US, I would now be closely examining the Denon website."

And that was before I even knew about the silver knob! Silver knob? No, no, no.....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/21213239

Yeah, someone needs to slap Onkyo in the head for not including 11.x in at least one of their new receivers.

I was prepared to upgrade from my 805 to the 3009 IF they implemented 11.2 but now will wait until next round of AVR releases to see if happens then.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy /forum/post/21224755

I was prepared to upgrade from my 805 to the 3009 IF they implemented 11.2 but now will wait until next round of AVR releases to see if happens then.

I used to own an 875..two of them as a matter of fact

The upgrade to the Audessey XT32 is significant from what you are used to

HOWEVER....if you are used to the brawn of the amp section of the 805...and truly need it

Its time that you should be looking for separates

There is nothing amp wise that compares to that series of Onkyos...even the newer Onkyo AVRs

Warren

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.