AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered onkyo 609 av receiver my ? is can i connect it to a smaller surround and front speakers say 6w RMS my room is quiet small i have a powerfull sub and center speaker

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Why are you trying to connect PC speakers to a receiver? Its a waste of money on the receiver. Get some stereo speakers. Even something used on craigslist will outperform computer speakers!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Um, what EXACT speakers are these?

I've never seen computer speakers that weren't self powered. (beyond basic $5 ones that played very low)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Your Creative speakers use RCA plugs and are designed for very low power levels. You'd need to cut the RCA plug off and strip the wire just to get it to fit in your Onkyo, but I don't recommend that. They will not sound good and you will probably damage them.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Now that we know what you have. You have a system that was powered by the subwoofer. Apparently that subwoofer died?

Anyway, the biggest issue will be what ohm load these are. More than likely they are 3ohm. That in and of itself isn't a big concern. 6 watts(more like these will handle 10) is much louder than you expect. But then, we don't know how inefficient these are.

Yes you can use them, but don't be surprised if one of them blows one day and all of a sudden sends the receiver into protection mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts