AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get Zone 2 working on my Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver. I currently have a 5.1 audio setup and I've just bought some new speakers so I can set up a Zone 2.

I've plugged cables into the Zone 2 "L" + "R" connectors and connected the other end to a speaker. I've tried it with Powered Zone 2 turned on in the settings and turned off, but in either case I can't get any sound to come out of the speaker. Does anyone know how to get this working?

I've attached a photo of the speaker outlets I'm plugging into at teh back of the receiver in case I'm using the wrong ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
The zone 2 can only play from analog inputs. Are you trying to use HDMI? The terimals on the left are indeed the right ones. Also, in the setup you have to turn "Powered Zone 2 -> On" and I believe there is also a setting to make the output variable instead of fixed. I'm not sure what the default is.

If you are bi-amping the front speakers or using the surround back channels, I believe the powered zone 2 is disabled, but you should consult the manual to make sure that's accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The zone 2 can only play from analog inputs. Are you trying to use HDMI? The terminals on the left are indeed the right ones. Also, in the setup you have to turn "Powered Zone 2 -> On" and I believe there is also a setting to make the output variable instead of fixed. I'm not sure what the default is.
I'm only connecting analogue, but only because that's the only option. So that means on-board audio such as the AM/FM tuner and built-in internet apps such as Spotify and internet radio stations. I would really like to be able to Chromecast from my Android phone to Zone 2, but the Chromecast connects via HDMI. I'll ask about this in a different thread.

If you are bi-amping the front speakers or using the surround back channels, I believe the powered zone 2 is disabled, but you should consult the manual to make sure that's accurate.
Turns out I was being a right dufus. I'd looked and looked at the back of the receiver for Zone 2 pole connectors just like the ones to other speakers because I wanted to do a direct connection from receiver to Zone 2 speakers (no bi-amping). I couldn't see them anywhere - then when I looked in the manual this morning I saw a diagram of them and sure enough they were there all along. Doh! So now I've connected them they're working fine. I've posted an annotated diagram from the manual which will hopefully help someone else looking in future.

As you say, you have to make sure the settings are correct in Setup:
- For bi-amped where you're connecting the Onkyo to another amp which in turn has the Zone 2 speakers connected to it, you set Powered = No.
- For a direct connection from the the Onkyo to the Zone 2 speakers with speaker cable, you set Powered = Yes (because the speakers are being powered by the Onkyo).

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm only connecting analogue, but only because that's the only option. So that means on-board audio such as the AM/FM tuner and built-in internet apps such as Spotify and internet radio stations. I would really like to be able to Chromecast from my Android phone to Zone 2, but the Chromecast connects via HDMI. I'll ask about this in a different thread.
Ever find out anything about how to route this? I just set up a 2nd zone not really considering the possibility of this limitation and it seems all I can play is the NET source... Since it has an HDMI out I thought at least it would be able to mirror some HDMI inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts