AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you guys been enjoying the 636? Love mine since upgrading ( though same cost as Sony 1050) can't even compare the 2 the 636 is so much more advanced aside from the 1050 did have impressive & better watts per channel though I don't notice the difference, only the better music quality from the dual 32 bit processors. Really looking forward to the Dolby Atmos firmware update.
How are things going with yours?

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Yamaha 765 got fried by a power surge from lightning and after owning three Yamahas, I decided to try an Onkyo TX-NR636. I looked at Sound & Visions review of many different AV receiver and decided on the Onkyo 636 because of the many features listed. The remote is hands down easier than Yamahas. The ease of changing audio sounds are much easier also. I have Polk 5.1 speakers and just ordered two more Polk speakers to go to 7.1. I have my Dish Hopper with Sling hooked to HDMi 2 and my Samsung BluRay player to HDMI 1. Also, a DVD recorder hooked to HDMI 3, a video game thru component input to HDMI 4 with the audio thru video 3 to HDMI 4, and a home security system hooked thru composite 2 to HDMI 5. And a turntable thru the phono input. Love the ease of switching inputs to upscaled HDMI outputs. Even my security camera pictures are much clearer upscaled. Got it brand new off eBay for under $500.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was reading the review of the 838 and notice that the pics show two antennas on the rear panel. My 636 does not have any antenna at all. Does that mean that my remote is IR only? I look thru all data on the reviews and Onkyo site and do not see any information. Remote is an RC-880M cannot even find it on the Onkyo site

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an issue with HDMI. When you turn off/on, there is no video and only way to fix this is to turn off the TV and receiver, disconnect and connect the HDMI cables and turn on the TV and Receiver. Left few voice messages and an email to ONKYO support but no response yet. Will wait for couple days due to holidays. TV is 6 year old Sharp Aquos and not sure if a new TV will fix this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked this in another thread but maybe its best to ask here.

I have a TX-NR636 and have a few questions other users may be able to answer for me before I look at contacting support. Firstly I want to point out the receiver is updated to the latest firmware released a couple of weeks ago (105).

Has anyone successfully been able to use the inbuilt upscaler and upscale to 4k at 50hz or 60hz? I have tried but it seems I'm limited to 30Hz top. Bringing up the quick setting HUD and looking at the video information confirms this. For example if I feed the receiver a 1080p signal at 60hz the picture output from the receiver is 3160 at 30hz. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the upscaler or an issue with my panel or HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV (routed through the receivers main output). The panel is a Samsung UHD 8200 and I have tried with the HDMI UHD color option on and off.

MY receiver does not seem to remember its audio setting after a power off and on. This is if I power off the system while its displaying a picture and sound from my PC and then power on again. What happens is the TV powers on at the correct setting, the receiver power on at the correct setting. Once its initialised the receiver will swap to the TV sound setting (displayed on the front of the receiver) even though the PC picture is still displaying on the TV.

My next question is related to changing resolutions and how the receiver handles that. I currently have my PC and PS4 hooked up on HDMI3 and 4 on the receiver. When the PS4 is being output to the TV and initiates a resolution change, I here the sound from the PC indicating hardware has been unplugged and reattached. Is that normal for this receiver as that did not happen on my previous Pioneer when other devices changed resolution.

Lastly also related to resolution changing. It seems to take a long time for resolution changes to take effect on the system. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, Raz

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having HDMI Video Dropout issues with my setup and my Onkyo 636. Here's the link over in the HDMI section of the forum:

Please read and offer any advice you have. I didn't know quite where to report the issues I'm having with frequent HDMI Video Dropouts with a 25+ foot run from my components to my Sony 500es projector.
I can only suggest that maybe the 25 foot cable is to long. Is there any way on your setup you can test any of my queries, ESP the one related to possible limitation to the inbuilt upscaler in the 636.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Razoola- I've upscaled using the receiver before. It was definitely 2160p, but I can't remember whether the projector reported the refresh rate as 60 or 24. I'll try it again, if the signal will stay on long enough for me to verify.

My 25' HDMI cable is a Monoprice 22AWG. I deliberately bought heavy because I wanted to lower signal loss. The one it replaced was also a monoproce 22 AWG. I bought both of these when Redmere was much more expensive. I may break down and get a 25' Redmere cable, but if I can make it work with my current cables I would prefer that. Ceiling running cable is a major PITA, even though I put in ceiling tile. (I pulled the original white to replace with black, but the black was a slightly larger panel giving even less wiggle room to replace.)

I have an unpowered drop in extender and also DVIGear HDMI extender with power supply. My next test will probably be to use one of these to see if it clears the signal up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Razoola- I've upscaled using the receiver before. It was definitely 2160p, but I can't remember whether the projector reported the refresh rate as 60 or 24. I'll try it again, if the signal will stay on long enough for me to verify.

My 25' HDMI cable is a Monoprice 22AWG. I deliberately bought heavy because I wanted to lower signal loss. The one it replaced was also a monoproce 22 AWG. I bought both of these when Redmere was much more expensive. I may break down and get a 25' Redmere cable, but if I can make it work with my current cables I would prefer that. Ceiling running cable is a major PITA, even though I put in ceiling tile. (I pulled the original white to replace with black, but the black was a slightly larger panel giving even less wiggle room to replace.)

I have an unpowered drop in extender and also DVIGear HDMI extender with power supply. My next test will probably be to use one of these to see if it clears the signal up.

If you can do that test it would be great. You should be able to see the information on the receivers display also if there is intermittent picture issues. Press the Q setup button, move down to information, select and move down to video and select. The input and output resolution is then displayed on the front of the receiver.

·
Premium Member
91,878 Posts
I was reading the review of the 838 and notice that the pics show two antennas on the rear panel. My 636 does not have any antenna at all. Does that mean that my remote is IR only? I look thru all data on the reviews and Onkyo site and do not see any information. Remote is an RC-880M cannot even find it on the Onkyo site
These are the Wifi/Bluetooth antennas used to extend the range capability. All remotes are IR only.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you can do that test it would be great. You should be able to see the information on the receivers display also if there is intermittent picture issues. Press the Q setup button, move down to information, select and move down to video and select. The input and output resolution is then displayed on the front of the receiver.
Sorry, mate. I did the test and the highest I could get from upscaling in 4k is 30fps.

Looks like my DVIGEAR HDMI Extender seems to stop the dropouts though it doesn't play nice with my A/B switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, mate. I did the test and the highest I could get from upscaling in 4k is 30fps.

Looks like my DVIGEAR HDMI Extender seems to stop the dropouts though it doesn't play nice with my A/B switch.

Thanks for that. Do you also have issues with the time it takes to change resolutions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
In case you guys missed it there is a new Firmware update released a few days ago that gives the NR636 Dolby Atmos support.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I was looking at some pictures of the back of this receiver, and I'm wondering how it could do 7.1 along with the 4 Atmos speakers as well ?

Is this receiver limited to 5.1 with Atmos ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was looking at some pictures of the back of this receiver, and I'm wondering how it could do 7.1 along with the 4 Atmos speakers as well ?

The TX-NR636 is a 7.2 receiver, so the best you can do for Atmos is 5.2.2 with 2 back/surround height speakers.

·
Premium Member
91,878 Posts

Yes. Although Onkyo has been able to offer Atmos at a much lower price point then the other major brands by dropping Audyssey, in so doing has limited the 636, 737, and 838 to only 2 height speakers (ie. 5.1.2) which can be positioned as Front Height (front wall), Rear Height (rear wall), Top Front (in- ceiling half way between FL/FR speakers and the couch), or Top Middle (in-ceiling and just slightly forward of the couch). For the best effect, using only 2 height speakers, the Top Middle is recommended; however, as one would imagine, the use of 4 in-ceiling speakers (5.1.4; only possible on the 1030 and 3030) would provide a better "overhead" audio experience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It cannot. Apologies if that's what I put, was upgraded to the Onkyo TX-NR838 after I learned the 636 had no preouts. That was a great product, it was similar with the Pioneer AJ towers I had to back after learning/switching KEF. Didn't have room for them they were just that great of a deal. Heard the DID guys say they can build any speaker for half the price, with the exception being those & Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. Speaking of got a new Emotiva & placed the BS in different spot (wides) on top of dresser while I was setting other things up. It was producing such brilliant sounds that are hard to believe. Was staring at it trying to make sense of how such a small, low priced engineering marvel can perform like that. Should still be staring, haven't the slightest

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just set up a new 636 and did the update. I set the audio to direct from the bluray player. I am playing the new transformers and can anyone tell me what the display will look like on the receiver if it is decoding the atmos stream? Currently it shows Dolby insignia and the words TrueHD. Thanks for your help in advance.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts