AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR636 and have had a hard time determining what the issue is. I have all of my devices using HDMI, I currently have a cable box and XBOX one hooked into the receiver. It seems that shortly after hooking the receiver and surround sound up that the sound will cut out for a second or two. There is no consistency at all some days it doesn't act up and others it seems to be really bad. I have had the cable company come out and replace the box and it still is doing it. I have swapped HDMI cables and didn't seem to help, change input ports still same issue. At this point I am running out of ideas as what could be causing this. It is only the sounds the picture never messes up. I do notice that when the sound does cut out the "HDMI" icon on the receiver disappears and then comes back on. Hope you guys can offer some help.

·
Premium Member
93,182 Posts
Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI Handshake issues when connected directly to an AVR. Work around is to connect cable box (HDMI) directly to TV and cable box (optical) to the AVR. And even when there are initially no issues, a firmware update to the cable/sat box can cause handshake issues until the next firmware update is released to the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI Handshake issues when connected directly to an AVR. Work around is to connect cable box (HDMI) directly to TV and cable box (optical) to the AVR. And even when there are initially no issues, a firmware update to the cable/sat box can cause handshake issues until the next firmware update is released to the box.
I think that is what is happening it is just so spontaneous, it seems as if it is loosing the hand shake. I took my Xbox today and swaped cables and inputs to see if it would be faulty cable or input and haven't heard the Xbox do it one time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.