AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Onkyo TX-NR636 which I purchased in January. River worked well and setup was easy. I have noticed that the volume has decreased from the original set up. When I first set the system up, pushing the volume to 56 and it was more then my room could stand. Normal listening was 26. Now normal listen is in the 40s and you can max out the receiver and it is loud but not LOUD like it once was.

I am not going deaf, had a person over tonight who sets up for bands and he said it sounds good, but volume is very unimpressive.

Sneakers is an all Paradigm system..Monitor 7s, cc370, titans and atoms.

Any ideas on the cause or is this a warranty issue. I am 100% convinced if I send it away they will say it works fine. It turns on and it plays just not impressive.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
to reset the microprocessor:
How to reset
1.While holding down CBL/SAT on the main unit (note that step 2 must be performed with this button pressed down)
2.Press
ON/STANDBY on the unit. "Clear" is appeared on the display and the unit will enter standby mode.

I think the test tones are close to "reference volume". this is a relative thing, but in absolute numbers it's 85db at the listening position. you need a sound pressure meter to measure that. on this receiver there is no relative volume scale, just absolute numbers. play white noise, adjust the volume till you hit 85db at the listening position, take note of what the volume was. that's reference.

Best,
jeff

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Onkyo TX-NR636 which I purchased in January. River worked well and setup was easy. I have noticed that the volume has decreased from the original set up. When I first set the system up, pushing the volume to 56 and it was more then my room could stand. Normal listening was 26. Now normal listen is in the 40s and you can max out the receiver and it is loud but not LOUD like it once was.

I am not going deaf, had a person over tonight who sets up for bands and he said it sounds good, but volume is very unimpressive.

Sneakers is an all Paradigm system..Monitor 7s, cc370, titans and atoms.

Any ideas on the cause or is this a warranty issue. I am 100% convinced if I send it away they will say it works fine. It turns on and it plays just not impressive.
Funny. My 636 just did the same thing to me today. Any luck with yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
might is doing the exact same thing 2 facemight is doing the exact same thing 2 12 inch subs,Bose 301 the latest series for my front speakers I have a Velodyne center channel speaker and Valentine surround sound speakers. I am only set in 5.2 surround at the moment I am preparing to set up for the Dolby Atmos soon. But when I'm in 2 channel stereo and I want to Blair some Five Finger Death Punch, my 5 year old Denon at 55 watts per channel is a hell of a lot louder. I think this is a firmware update that screwing us. I was on hold with technical assistance with Onkyo For hours....the only thing they could tell me to do was a system reset. Done that doing it again. This is my second receiver I already exchanged one for the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.