AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on Onkyousa.com that they have 2 receivers listed as coming soon.... This reciever is basically the same as the 626 except it has support for the lastest HDMI connections and 21:9 viewing aspect ratio AND to me the killer is it now does NOT have Audyssey it has AccuEQ an exclusive Auto Room EQ from Onkyo and it says it by-passes the front L&R speakers for the EQ. I'm not quite sure about this.

·
Registered
15,009 Posts
That's indeed what they're advertising. Of course, as yet nobody knows how effective their new proprietary room EQ might be.

Edited to add: Marantz equipment have had the Audyssey option "Bypass L/R" for a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The manual posted online indicates that the AccuEQ is either off or on. It doesn't have the depth of options the audyssey had (i.e. target curves, dynamic eq, dynamic volume, reference levels), or at least I don't see them in the manual. The lack of options seems like a downgrade to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I am guessing there is not a chance that AccuEQ will eq your subwoofers if it doesn't eq the main speakers. I have been looking at the 626 for a while to replace my old yamaha  and was excited to see the 636 on the onkyo website.  The 626 has the basic audyseey multieq it would still help eq the subs.  Not to excited about 4k yet since there is not much content out there yet.  What a bummer....  

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekf  /t/1523119/onkyo-tx-nr636#post_24577481

I have this one on pre-order at Amazon

There's a review of the TX-NR535 (the 5.2 sibling), but the reviewer didn't use the automatic setup for AccuEQ. I am curious how

it sounds compared to Audessey.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR535-5-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/product-reviews/B00IQ0SDVY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
Did this show up in the mail yet?  If so, how do you like it so far?  For me, it is between this NR636 and the Pioneer VSX-1124 (although it doesn't look like it is avail yet).

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1523119/onkyo-tx-nr636#post_24628812

Did this show up in the mail yet?  If so, how do you like it so far?  For me, it is between this NR636 and the Pioneer VSX-1124 (although it doesn't look like it is avail yet).

No, I checked with Onkyo and it should become available end of April / beginning of May depending on your territory. So I guess 2 more weeks.

I'm also looking at the VSX-1124 and the RX-V677 (RX-V777). but no information yet on when they are available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's been released now. Anyone got it yet? I'm about to pull the trigger methinks...my old Onkyo HTIB receiver with HDMI video passthrough (no audio!) sorely needs replacing...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It would seem this new Onkyo amp still requires you to switch on full 'HDMI Control(RHID)' in order to enable the Audio Return Channel from your TV... Why?

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital  /t/1523119/onkyo-tx-nr636#post_24651754

It would seem this new Onkyo amp still requires you to switch on full 'HDMI Control(RHID)' in order to enable the Audio Return Channel from your TV... Why?

That's no good, so still no ARC for me:

My Philips TV with CEC switches on if you just switch the radio on... TV off => Onkyo off again.

My 609 requires to operate in passthrough mode, meaning that it's alwasy "on". Did they invent in the mean time some clever standby mode ?

So that's still an coax cable to my receiver.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverboy  /t/1523119/onkyo-tx-nr636#post_24652106

Well, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait for this baby.

Looks like Amazon.com has/had stock. Still no stock at Amazon.de (the german variant). Guess they started to ship to the US first. Guess another week or so.

Could you please give an opinion on AccuEQ vs. Audessey:

- Setup

- How it "sounds"

- What it calculates (cut offs etc if visible in the GUI) ?

The TX-NR535 reviews are still missing as well and the people who have bought one and leave reviews on e.g. Amazon don't

go further than "good product, I'm happy".

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Going to order this from Amazon also. I had my Onkyo 709 up for sale at Amazon and it sold. I'll need a new receiver ASAP.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverboy  /t/1523119/onkyo-tx-nr636#post_24652106

Well, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait for this baby.

Did yours arrive ?

I got mine yesterday. Few observations:

- It feels a bit lighter than my good old TX-NR609. From the specs it's 10 vs. 11 kg.

- It's basically still the same housing as the 609. Build quality is ok-ish. Except that the volume knob is a bit more plastic than my old 609. Further, I still don't like that the power lead/cable

is connected directly to the power supply internally (so no connector + cable as most other manufacturers of HiFi equipment are doing). And why is the power connector not grounded ?

- I don't like the placement of the HDMI connectors directly above the speaker connectors. It's a pain to connect the wires. I have to get my hands on some crocodile clips in the future.

- Setup is a "breeze". I'm not an expert in room correction (equalization), but from what I remember Audessey used high pitched tones (~10 KHz ?) during setup. AudioEQ works differently. It

first asks for your speaker setup. I'm a bit confused (still) about the terms height or back speakers. I assumed with my 5.1 setup I have back speakers. It then asks you place the mic at

the listening position and fires off some noise (so no tone) into each speaker and plays a sound into the sub-woofer. Even if you have a 5.1 setup it still tries to play sounds as if you've

a 7.2 setup. The process is then repeated at a much louder volume (position = 50 ??? vs. 25 during the first check). It then calculates and shows you the cut off frequencies. I can look

them up in you're interested. Still I got the feeling it did a better job for my sub-woofer than the 609. For my old setup, the woofer was sometimes clipping, now things sounds much better.

Have to try e.g. Star Wars Return of the Jedi tonight, specially the opening sequence, which has some nice deep bass sounds.

- The 636 does sound not much differently from my old 609. I get the feeling it's "louder" than the 609 and perhaps a bit fatter. For my 609, you had to use a volume setting > 35-40 to get some real volume into my living room.

- Don't like the remote. The setup button shows you the current input mapping. This is confusing. You have to press the home button to get into the setup.

- HDMI CEC settings look the same as my 609. Maybe tonight I'll have ARC another try with my Philips TV. Currently I use digital coax in for audio. Didn't see (as it should) lipsync issues.

- Onkyo still has no auto configuration for analog radio channels apparently. Still took me 30 minutes to program all 40 channels manually.

- No HDMI connection issues with my HTPC (AMD APU) and my PS4. Also no issues with deep color support, which has been added to firmware 1.70 of the PS4. Some people have to explicitly switch it off on the PS4 side

to get a picture. My TV is a Philips 42PFL5038 from 2013.

- Start up (switching on) feels slower than my 609. It's in the order of a few secs more.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Thanks for this info.  I'm about to get this receiver as it's the only hdmi 2 available now and I can't wait unfortunately.  Once question how is it for heat output.  Does it seem warm or hot?  Is it passive or does it have a fan.  I think it's passive cooling so I'll probably stick a small fan on top to pull out the heat, I'm a big believer in cooling my equipment (alas my tower pc sounds like a small aircraft as a result though :) ).

1 - 20 of 257 Posts