AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of updating all electronic/entertainment equipment.

(no money discussion except) I see there are great prices right now on Onkyo TX-NR708 and on Klipsch HD1000 speaker system. Even at those levels, it pushes my total budget. I also have limited physical space so finding quality sound within my price and size budget lead me to the HD1000 system. Any comments on that combination?

The only item in place is the HTPC I am rebuilding. I just installed a new video board, the Asus ENGT430 that passes sound and video through the HDMI 1.4a. I also installed the Plextor Blu-ray player and 3TB's of hard drive. I'm tinkering with the dual TV tuner card so it will eventually also be the DVR and media server. This one box accomplishes the work of many traditionally separate components.

I really don't need all the backward compatibility (except for cable) in an av receiver and I do want HDMI 1.4a including the ability for networking. (I say it's about time we are finally multitasking the wiring.) I'll probably always use an HTPC because it is something I can take apart and rebuild as needed.

My understanding is the 708 correctly passes 1080p video without distortion to the HDTV. Is this correct? In what I've read, it appears I can configure the 708 HDMI ports individually with pass through as necessary (as opposed to processing the stream of data). Correct?

Is there a better audio/video receiver for my situation? I do not listen to anything at loud eardrum shattering levels but want the distinctions at lower sound outputs so THX improves my chances. I want to stream Internet video and my HTPC already does that nicely. The AVR must be able to directly connect to the Internet for firmware updates.

It would also be nice to be able to add 2 wireless speakers (when the quality improves) as the HD1000 is a 5.1 system or even in the future have the signal sent to the LCD wirelessly too. Are these tasks something the 708 is up for - it needs the ability to connect and cooperate.

My main concern is for energy consumption; can someone comment on the 708? I saw negative posts about the 608 in that regard.

Should I also post this exact same thing over in the speaker area? Or even the HTPC?

I grew up watching my Daddy build all his electronics using Tandy kits. When I inherited an HP m8120n (computer) the first thing I did was study the specs and replace the power supply to an 500 watt "green" unit. I love when people remove cases and post pictures of the internal workings. That's how many years ago, I realized I would never buy another standalone DVD player. Too bad nobody builds their own receivers nowadays but things are much more complicated.

Happy holidays and many thanks for comments and assistance.

Zena

·
Registered
700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenaZeo /forum/post/19549533

I am in process of updating all electronic/entertainment equipment.

(no money discussion except) I see there are great prices right now on Onkyo TX-NR708 and on Klipsch HD1000 speaker system. Even at those levels, it pushes my total budget. I also have limited physical space so finding quality sound within my price and size budget lead me to the HD1000 system. Any comments on that combination?

The only item in place is the HTPC I am rebuilding. I just installed a new video board, the Asus ENGT430 that passes sound and video through the HDMI 1.4a. I also installed the Plextor Blu-ray player and 3TB's of hard drive. I'm tinkering with the dual TV tuner card so it will eventually also be the DVR and media server. This one box accomplishes the work of many traditionally separate components.

I really don't need all the backward compatibility (except for cable) in an av receiver and I do want HDMI 1.4a including the ability for networking. (I say it's about time we are finally multitasking the wiring.) I'll probably always use an HTPC because it is something I can take apart and rebuild as needed.

My understanding is the 708 correctly passes 1080p video without distortion to the HDTV. Is this correct? In what I've read, it appears I can configure the 708 HDMI ports individually with pass through as necessary (as opposed to processing the stream of data). Correct?

Is there a better audio/video receiver for my situation? I do not listen to anything at loud eardrum shattering levels but want the distinctions at lower sound outputs so THX improves my chances. I want to stream Internet video and my HTPC already does that nicely. The AVR must be able to directly connect to the Internet for firmware updates.

It would also be nice to be able to add 2 wireless speakers (when the quality improves) as the HD1000 is a 5.1 system or even in the future have the signal sent to the LCD wirelessly too. Are these tasks something the 708 is up for - it needs the ability to connect and cooperate.

My main concern is for energy consumption; can someone comment on the 708? I saw negative posts about the 608 in that regard.

Should I also post this exact same thing over in the speaker area? Or even the HTPC?

I grew up watching my Daddy build all his electronics using Tandy kits. When I inherited an HP m8120n (computer) the first thing I did was study the specs and replace the power supply to an 500 watt "green" unit. I love when people remove cases and post pictures of the internal workings. That's how many years ago, I realized I would never buy another standalone DVD player. Too bad nobody builds their own receivers nowadays but things are much more complicated.

Happy holidays and many thanks for comments and assistance.

Zena

About the only thing i can comment on is in bold. Onkyo's do have greater power consumption because when they say they put out a certain number of watts per channel, its pretty much close to spec, not overinflated numbers. When you turn an onkyo up, it's **LOUD** - quite a bit louder at the same number of watts per channel than competing brands. So that's something to consider when comparing units as to why AVR 'A' consumes quite a bit more power than AVR 'B' when they are rated at the same watts per channel.

Also, weight plays a major part in how beefy an amp section is in a receiver - the heavier, the better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts