AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody!

I'm very new to home theater experience. I have got UN55C7000 TV and want to have corresponding audio system as well.

I came across Onkyo TX-NR708, and it looks good to me. However, I've seen some reviews with ppl having some issue with volume. Please comment what you think about this model. Can you suggest a better option? I will be definitely using receiver's 3D and home network connection capabilities.

I'm also not sure about how to choose right speakers. How to choose speakers? What should be criterias? Noticed "Mirage MX 5.1" and to me they are looking great. Does any of you guys have experience with them. Are they worth it?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Ruben

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, how do you think the combination of Yamaha NS-125F, NSM-M125P and NS-C125 will work with this Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver? Is the Yamaha NS-555 speaker much better than NS-125F? Which one would you suggest?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you think about Onkyo TX-NR708 running on

(2x) Polk Audio Monitor 70 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers

(1x) Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

(2x) Polk Audio Monitor 30 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers

(1x) Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

What can I expect from this configuration? I have a medium size room.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenhak /forum/post/19515428

since nobody help me i have no other choice other then blindly make an order and try it for myself.

Hi rubenhak, IMHO either way you choose it will sound good after running Audyssey MultEQ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JChin. I'm just not sure about the wiring. I also want to get this cable for sub connection: "Mediabridge Ultra Series - Dual Shielded Subwoofer Cable - RCA to RCA Gold Plated Pro Grade Connectors" , it should be good, right?

Does the receiver or speakers come with their cables? What kind of cables you would suggest me to get for this setup?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
I get all my cables/wires/connectors from monoprice.com. But that Mediabridge sub cable should be fine also.

Receiver or Speakers will not come with cables.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Definately get all your cables from Monoprice, they are cheap, fast, and provide a good cable at a good price. I have a full/dedicated theater with way too much money invested, and I'm running all Monoprice cables; IMHO, there's simply no reason to spend money on high end cables..

I'm not too familiar with that model, but maybe, instead; what are you trying to get out of the AVR (what features are important to you)? In most cases, this kind of AVR is going to work great for most people, so, yes, I think it's a good choice.

I'd also look at the 1020 from Pioneer, I have a 1018 (a model from a few years ago) and have been very happy with it. In the ~500-1000 range, it's going to be hard to buy a "bad" system; they are all just a bit different.

Also, if you don't need 3D, it's really tempting to look at last years systems.. Something like a Denon 3310 was a 1K+ AVR last year, you can find it (new) for half that price today..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a 3D TV and will be sing 3D capabilities of the receiver. This requirement narrows down my choice a lot.

Anyway, I've already made the order and also ordered cables from monoprice. Will post how it all works. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Everybody!

I finally received them:

*) Onkyo TX-NR708

*) (2x) Polk Monitor 70

*) (1x) Polk Monitor CS20

*) (2x) Polk Monitor 20

*) (1x) Polk PSW505 Subwoofer

Even though it was too late but could not wait to hook them up. I run the Audyssey wizard and it figures out what is

connected to the system and adjusted levels. This is settings it set for my speakers:

Front: 40Hz (Polk Audio Monitor 70)

Center: 40Hz (Polk Audio Monitor CS20)

Surround: 60Hz (Polk Audio Monitor 30)

First, I just want to check with you guys if this is correct setting?

Related to sub, I connected top top Subwoofer PREOUT on the receiver to LFE IN port on the sub.

I also set the cutout freq on the subwoofer to about 80Hz. Is this correct connection?

The last question is about speaker wiring. Monitor 70's and 30's got 2 pairs of connectors. Should I use both of them?

Currently I use "14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable" from monoprice. Would it make any difference

if I use B-wire?

Below are some pictures of my home theater system.

Thanks for your replies,

Ruben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks nice man. I'm actually thinking of getting a very similar setup with polk speakers and the 708 receiver. How does it sound?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have UN55C8000. Since you'll have Onkyo 708 its a very good receiver. I ordered an 608 I wanted the 708 but for $200 more I decided to take 608; and I have Polks Speakers but a higher end model. RTiA7 for Fronts; RTiA3 forSurrounds, Cant remember Center; and for sub BIC-PL200; its better than Polk 505; but Polk 505 sounds good too. I recommend to setup ALL your speakers to SMALL; even the front ones. And in the receiver setup crossover to 80Hz. If you have the sub connectend in the LFE then it does not matter if you put the crossover of the sub in 80Hz or more due that the Receiver will take management.

But if you have connected in left/right then set sub crossover to 80Hz. I still dont have Onkyo 608 yet. I will get it this next Monday. Right now I'm using a Marantz SR6003. And as soon as I get familiarized with the Onkyo I will explain you better the correct settings.

About Bi-wiring; right now do not use it. Get familiarized with your equipment; and try biamp within 3 months to see if you can hear any difference. I have to try that too at home before installing my 608. But I've read in the past that the front speakers will sound better in bi-amp. I can't assure that right now; I have to try it for myself.

And if the Yamaha NS-555 are better than the NS-25F; I believe it does. Two years ago my first option was to take Yamahas NS55 or Infinity P362 or Polk Tsi400 (Old Models). Finally I ended with Polks RTiA7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts