AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received great advice on a speaker thread. Now, it's time for me to get corrected a little with receivers.

I love my old Onkyo. But, it isn't capable of a lot of modern fancies. So, we plan to upgrade when we move.

I'm considering TX-NR717. However, the big difference between it and the newer 727 seems to be DTS 96/24.

Is DTS 96/24 worth an extra $100 for a small living room surround sound setup? We love surround sound and HD. But, I'm not sure the price is justified.

Lastly, I read a review on Amazon that Onkyo's Zone2 doesn't support streaming audio from HDMI components. We use Chromecast for audio streaming over HDMI and want to have a Zone2 outside to stream this content. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? If this is the case, any advice on other options that supply Zone2 audio from HDMI devices?

Thanks a lot for any and all pieces of advice to come!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I didn't see this stuff addressed there on Zone2. Figured since I'm seeking advice on any system whether Onkyo or switching to get the best bang for the buck is worth a new thread.

·
Premium Member
90,351 Posts
AFAIK,, both models should be able to do 96/24 DTS, however, the more important difference is that the 727 uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ which can EQ the subwoofer while the 2EQ in the 717 cannot. To get HDMI audio to zone 2 and the even more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT, consider the Denon X3000 which can pass HDMI PCM 2.0 audio from an independent source than is playing in the main zone to Zone 2. It also has a dedicated Zone 2 HDMI monitor ouput if you wanted to pass HDMI video/audio (same or independent from the main zone) to another AVR or to a Zone 2 TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The Denon X3000 is the same price as the Onkyo 727. The only downer I see is the lack of Bluetooth.
Man trying to find an all-in-one solution for basic streaming is getting craaaazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts