290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably replacing my Denon - details can be found here

I'm leaning toward the Onkyo TX-NR787 for a few reasons:

• Upgrading from 7.2 to 9.2 Atmos
  • I have Sonos so the "Works with Sonos" function is nice
  • Affordability considering the feature set
  • Meets the power needs for the speakers I currently have
I am running into one major problem... All Onkyo Receivers are out of stock EVERYWHERE because of Covid-19 slowing the supply chain from Asia. Other brands appear to be having similar problems but Onkyo seems to be getting the worst of it for some reason.

From what I can tell, Onkyo is the only brand that has the "works with Sonos" feature and that's a pretty big selling point for me.

Do any other brands offer "Works with Sonos" that you all are aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
What does Works with Sonos actually mean? Can you use Sonos speakers for surrounds and Atmos? Please clarify.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pioneer Elite avr's also work with Sonos

·
Registered
750 Posts
It looks like it's basically an extra application on the AVR that allows it to combine with a Sonos Connect or other compatible amp-less Sonos device, and make the combination act like a Sonos Connect:Amp or other amplified Sonos streaming device.
If so, that pretty much means it will "wake on Sonos" and automatically switch to the Sonos input (I guess you have to tell it in the settings menu which input to use). I imagine if you're already using the AVR, Sonos takes precedence.
https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-now-works-with-sonos-but-still-need-a-sonos-connect/

What does Works with Sonos actually mean? Can you use Sonos speakers for surrounds and Atmos? Please clarify.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The newer TX-NR797 seems to be available at Adorama
As teemoney says, Pioneer Elite's also have the feature.
VSX-LX304 seems to be available at Best Buy
The cheapest I see is the VSX-LX303 (costs less, but be careful of heat issues). Onkyo TX-RZ630 is very similar.
VSX-LX504 seems to be at Adorama, but at that price, the 2017 "flagship" SC-LX701 is available as new and can go to 7.1.4 with external amps.

Integra is the only other AVR manufacturer I see on the Sonos partner list, but you're probably better off with Onkyo or Pioneer
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/works-with-sonos

I'm probably replacing my Denon - details can be found here
I'm leaning toward the Onkyo TX-NR787 for a few reasons:
I am running into one major problem... All Onkyo Receivers are out of stock EVERYWHERE because of Covid-19 slowing the supply chain from Asia. Other brands appear to be having similar problems but Onkyo seems to be getting the worst of it for some reason.
From what I can tell, Onkyo is the only brand that has the "works with Sonos" feature and that's a pretty big selling point for me.
Do any other brands offer "Works with Sonos" that you all are aware of?
Pioneer Elite avr's also work with Sonos

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Integra is the only other AVR manufacturer I see on the Sonos partner list, but you're probably better off with Onkyo or Pioneer
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/works-with-sonos
Integra is Onkyo. It's basically like Lexus is to Toyota. It's Onkyo's higher end line.

Pioneer is owned by Onkyo too so all 3 brands are part of the same company.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Understood and agreed, but I make that statement as I don't think I can recall any example where Integra offered better value than Onkyo/Pioneer.
Their feature set seems to lag Onkyo/Pioneer. For example, on their website for recent models, no models seem to support eARC. Few models are Play-Fi compatible. Rare availability of Airplay/Airplay 2. etc
Only 1 lists HLG support. Easy firmware upgrade, but it hasn't happened like Onkyo/Pioneer. If it has happened, then why isn't the site updated?
Additionally, Integra has limited availability since they seem to be aimed at installers as opposed to retail.

Integra is Onkyo. It's basically like Lexus is to Toyota. It's Onkyo's higher end line.

Pioneer is owned by Onkyo too so all 3 brands are part of the same company.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I see you joined AVS in 2009. Maybe you weren't looking at AVRs before then? Integra was the high end of Onkyo product line. Yes they were aimed more at customer installers. Back then Integra came with 3 year warranty and Onkyo only 2 years. Now Onkyo has created the RZ line that has the 3 year warranty. just like Yamaha has Aventage which also has 3 year warranties. So things have probably evened out between Onkyo RZ and Integra over the years.

With the consolidation of products and acquisitions of competitors the AVR market has been streamlined a bit. Plus there's a lack of high end AV shops for the consumer to visit so you don't really see Integra around anymore.

Onkyo has always had wider availability and sold thru more channels so much heavily discounted than Integra. I don't think Integra offers more value than Pioneer/Onkyo because they don't move as much product, thus higher prices.

This was the top of the line Intergra, the 11 channel DRX 1.1
http://www.integrahometheater.com/Products/model.php?m=DRX-R1.1&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Their new flagship is the DRX-R1.3 which list for $3299

The DRX R4.3 is their low end 9 channel receiver and has all the features you mentioned.
http://www.integrahometheater.com/Products/model.php?m=DRX-4.3&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

I'm a Denon fan myself so I'd probably buy a x3600 or x3700 instead of any of these.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
this Integra 4.3 review may interest you. Kinda long though

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wasn't looking at AVRs in depth back in 2009, but understood what Integra's relationship to Onkyo was. Onkyo's acquisition of Pioneer was just after I started paying more attention to AVRs with the rise of 4K.
As you say, things have changed, which led me to my statement about Onkyo/Pioneer vs Integra.
OP is still now aware of the 'Works with Sonos' feature in the brand in case he decides it works for him, despite my opinion.

I see you joined AVS in 2009. Maybe you weren't looking at AVRs before then? Integra was the high end of Onkyo product line. Yes they were aimed more at customer installers. Back then Integra came with 3 year warranty and Onkyo only 2 years. Now Onkyo has created the RZ line that has the 3 year warranty. just like Yamaha has Aventage which also has 3 year warranties. So things have probably evened out between Onkyo RZ and Integra over the years.
With the consolidation of products and acquisitions of competitors the AVR market has been streamlined a bit. Plus there's a lack of high end AV shops for the consumer to visit so you don't really see Integra around anymore.
Onkyo has always had wider availability and sold thru more channels so much heavily discounted than Integra. I don't think Integra offers more value than Pioneer/Onkyo because they don't move as much product, thus higher prices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts