AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have been using this forum for years to make sound decisions in my audio/video buying choices. Today, I have a question regarding a new receiver that I have been researching for some time now.

My Room and TV:
  • 12x17ft
  • Sony 55' LCD television

My Requirements:
  • Input ports: Need lots of them.
  • Video quality: I hate to see blurs on my 55' sony lcd television when watching DVDs or pictures from my digital camera.
  • Sound quality: I want to make sure that the sound being processed and sent to the speakers here is excellent. My main priority here is to make sure that in action movies, the dialogue (centre channel) doens't get overhauled by the other channels. I like my dialogue quite a bit. I am planning on combining this with bose 10 speakers mainly because the speakers will be wall mounted and I want a tight finish. I dislike large speakers.

Options:
  • Open to suggestions for better upscaling video quality receivers [any company], if they are cheaper.
  • Open to suggestions for better speakers that are tiny. I was looking at Bang Olufsen, but I think they may be an overkill for my setup. I don't know of any small speakers out there that are cheaper, so I think bose is my only option as BnO is too expensive.
  • don't care too much about the network funciton, but it is handy to have.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Personally, I think the 807 will be overkill (wattage wise) for tiny satellite style speakers. Also, any issues with the center channel being drowned out can/should be fixed by a proper level matching (either manual or through Audessy) or by simply notching up the center channel output.

For small speakers (I haven't heard them), Orb Audio (forum sponsors) are recommended frequently around here. Also look into Cambridge Soundworks and Energy home theater speaker lines for some of their smaller footprint/well reviewed systems.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Cabasse' makes some great sounding small speakers. Whole kit and kaboodle, stands and even wiring comes with their orb type speakers. Will play very loud and clear. Awesome looking and sounding speakers. They are also wall mountable.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16982542

Cabasse' makes some great sounding small speakers. Whole kit and kaboodle, stands and even wiring comes with their orb type speakers. Will play very loud and clear. Awesome looking and sounding speakers. They are also wall mountable.

Those are very nice looking! Are they reasonably priced? I'm not suggesting they aren't, I just haven't seen them listed anywhere for sale.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chemist /forum/post/16983110

Those are very nice looking! Are they reasonably priced? I'm not suggesting they aren't, I just haven't seen them listed anywhere for sale.

They are more expensive than the Orbs. Sorry I have not heard the Orbs, but I have listened to the Cabasses' and for their size its really a surprise that much clear and clean sound can come from speakers that small. Were you able to find a dealer anywhere near you? If so, they do indeed deserve a listen. They look better than the pictures. The pictures don't do them justice. I have a friend that bought a set of these several years ago and absolutely loves 'em. The WAF is also a great asset.

http://www.cabasse.com/medias/downlo...an-2008-us.pdf

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Onkyo really dropped the ball on the XX7. With NO 7.1 (8 channel) inputs this will not be the last AVR you will buy. If there is a new format you can not use it , Its days are numbered and its not even dusty. Other than that Onkyo makes very nice units

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/16988023

Onkyo really dropped the ball on the XX7. With NO 7.1 (8 channel) inputs this will not be the last AVR you will buy. If there is a new format you can not use it , Its days are numbered and its not even dusty. Other than that Onkyo makes very nice units

right.... they completely dropped the ball because Lossless is old and about to be obsolete because everyone and their grandma uses it currently. We're all gonna need to upgrade next year for 3d sound.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Not to mention that if a new format does get released you will likely be able to accomplish over HDMI (though conversion in the device to PCM) what people are currently accomplishing over analog inputs.

Really, the only loss here is for those that have a quality SACD/DVD-A player that doesn't have HDMI output.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_y /forum/post/16981666

Folks, I have been using this forum for years to make sound decisions in my audio/video buying choices. Today, I have a question regarding a new receiver that I have been researching for some time now.

My Room and TV:
  • 12x17ft
  • Sony 55' LCD television

My Requirements:
  • Input ports: Need lots of them.
  • Video quality: I hate to see blurs on my 55' sony lcd television when watching DVDs or pictures from my digital camera.
  • Sound quality: I want to make sure that the sound being processed and sent to the speakers here is excellent. My main priority here is to make sure that in action movies, the dialogue (centre channel) doens't get overhauled by the other channels. I like my dialogue quite a bit. I am planning on combining this with bose 10 speakers mainly because the speakers will be wall mounted and I want a tight finish. I dislike large speakers.

Options:
  • Open to suggestions for better upscaling video quality receivers [any company], if they are cheaper.
  • Open to suggestions for better speakers that are tiny. I was looking at Bang Olufsen, but I think they may be an overkill for my setup. I don't know of any small speakers out there that are cheaper, so I think bose is my only option as BnO is too expensive.
  • don't care too much about the network funciton, but it is handy to have.

Re the blurs and pq, I think you would be better served getting a plasma display than relying on the avr for scaling/nr. the achilles heel is your display i am afraid even with higher refresh rates. this is coming from a sony lcd convert - go plama - pioneer - and let your receiver/amp worry about audio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts