AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help deciding between the two. If you have direct interaction with either of these and hopefully even both of these, please please chime in.

I have a Denon 591 right now and am looking to upgrade. I have an opportunity to get both of these at around the same price so that is not an issue.

My requirements in order of importance are

1. Sound quality - I prefer a smooth "warmer sound" but not to the point of "tubelike" just want to stay away from "bright sounding" which fatigue my ears after a while

2. power - obviously more amps is better for sq

3. features- I would like internet capability especially for Pandora, DLNA, and OTA updates, also would like multichannel input, zone 2, SACD dsd processing. I also use my TV as a computer monitor, so any features that help there are appreciated

4. Stable - I will buy external fans if I have to but want to stay away from units that overheat and ones that have multiple handshake issues video drops, audio drops, or just general bugginess

5. PQ. - No, I don't NEED this as most peripherals will handle, but I wouldn't mind if the unit could upgrade video with some high quality chipset

6. Warranty - In case of issues, I want no hassle in returning/repairing/replacing

7. future proof - It would be nice not to have to buy another unit after just 2 years just because the latest and greatest can't be handled by my archaic unit

I know, I'm not asking a lot am I? I listen to mostly movies/tv over music and I would break it down as 50% movies/streaming video 30% t.v. and 20% music. But I would like to enter the world of SACD's and up that percentage some.

Anyways, if you have an opinion on either of these let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I understand the SC-35 is not firmware upgradeable, possibly you can get a disk if it is needed, I don't know.

The 809 can be upgraded via the net or USB.

It is also capable of 4K video, that's a bit overboard, but it is future-proofing.

Internet capability is more expansive in the Onkyo, and of course the ability to upgrade web features, services, etc. again is a factor.

Without an audition I think it is hard to say which 'sounds' better. I believe it has more to do with personal preference, and the electronics is really a small factor compared with speaker quality and placement. In that regard, Audyssey is an excellent calibrator, but MCACC is also very good.

I think many of the negatives about Onkyo are based on the problems they had with recent (X08) models. The 2011 models are redesigned but of course like anything else, time will determine how reliable they really are. They also run cooler than many previous models.

I'm only giving you a rundown of what I've read and heard and researched for myself. I was split between the 2 but I was also restricted on getting a good price on the Pioneer AND keeping the warranty intact, which is difficult if you are focused on internet sales. And of course, many of us are in this economy.

(This is the same issue with Integra series of the Onkyo line). But that does not keep people from buying Elites and they are an attractive and great sounding piece of gear, 3rd party warranties, notwithstanding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm also looking at these receivers as well as the Marantz SR6005.

The prices I can get each for are:

Onkyo TX-NR809 - $650

Pioneer Elite SC-35 - $1000

Marantz SR6005 - $575

1. Is the Pioneer superior to the others to warrant the added expense?

2. Is the Marantz in the same league as the other two?

3. Is there another receiver in this price range that would be better?

Thanks for helping a novice.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.dude /forum/post/20945987

I'm also looking at these receivers as well as the Marantz SR6005.

The prices I can get each for are:

Onkyo TX-NR809 - $650

Pioneer Elite SC-35 - $1000

Marantz SR6005 - $575

1. Is the Pioneer superior to the others to warrant the added expense?

2. Is the Marantz in the same league as the other two?

3. Is there another receiver in this price range that would be better?

Thanks for helping a novice.

1) The Pioneer is more powerful than the Onkyo but that won't always make a difference. It might be worth the extra when it was still on sale for 750 at costco but I believe those are mostly gone.

2) The Marantz 6005 is a nice receiver but doesn't have nearly as many features at the 809.

3) If you like the 6005 you could also look at the Denon 3311. They are being closed out at some places for the same or less than the 6005 and it actually has a lot of the same features/components of the 7005.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.