AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend somewhere around the $500 dollar mark to upgrade my system. Being a rookie I really need some advice as to which components really should recieve the attention. I have been looking most at an amplifier but was also looking at my subs. My current system is:
- Onkyo TX-NR818
- Polk TSx550t Left and Right Channel
- Polk TSx250C Centre Channel
- PSB 600 Surround Left and Right Channel
- Polk PSW505 Subwoofer

- ~2750sqft room but with openings closer to 3000

I'm a little disappointing with the low end response of my TSx 550t. I would have figured they would have better kick with two 8" drivers for each speaker. The debate is if that is a weakness with the speakers themselves or the Onkyo amplifier powering them. And based on that, where would $500 - $800 dollars be better spent.

If the amplifier was the weakness I was thinking about using the pre-outs to a UPA-700 or XPA-3 to add more power to the channels. However, if the weakness really isn't in the amplifier, maybe the money would be better spent on a PSA XS15se (a sub I've heard awesome things about).

Any tips?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
If the amplifier was the weakness I was thinking about using the pre-outs to a UPA-700 or XPA-3 to add more power to the channels. However, if the weakness really isn't in the amplifier, maybe the money would be better spent on a PSA XS15se (a sub I've heard awesome things about).

Any tips?

The sub upgrade will be your best option by far if you want "more kick" from your system. It will be night and day to the Polk "sub". Especially in a room that size.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub upgrade will be your best option by far if you want "more kick" from your system. It will be night and day to the Polk "sub". Especially in a room that size.
I should also clarify, that as much as I want more "kick", my listening is 70% music and 30% home theatre. So a tight, accurate and musical low end is as important as high output. That being said, I want to make sure I have a balanced system where the sub can keep up to the rest of the system.

Would I be off base thinking that the NR818 is underpowered for my tsx550t speakers?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I should also clarify, that as much as I want more "kick", my listening is 70% music and 30% home theatre. So a tight, accurate and musical low end is as important as high output. That being said, I want to make sure I have a balanced system where the sub can keep up to the rest of the system.

Would I be off base thinking that the NR818 is underpowered for my tsx550t speakers?

Do you have your Polks set to small? They should be, so that the 818 will route all of the low frequencies to the sub. The 818 will have a lot more headroom for the Polks when they are set this way and enable them to keep up with the sub.

Contact Tom V. at PSA and he will help you pick the best sub for your application.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have your Polks set to small? They should be, so that the 818 will route all of the low frequencies to the sub. The 818 will have a lot more headroom for the Polks when they are set this way and enable them to keep up with the sub.

Contact Tom V. at PSA and he will help you pick the best sub for your application.
The amp lets me set the crossover in intervals of 10 Hz. Polk claims that they should do 24 kHz to 37 Hz -3db. You think I should set that to 80 Hz and just let the sub do the rest? On that hand is it worth getting a tower speaker? Would a better entry level system just have some decent mid to high bookshelves with a good sub?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The amp lets me set the crossover in intervals of 10 Hz. Polk claims that they should do 24 kHz to 37 Hz -3db. You think I should set that to 80 Hz and just let the sub do the rest? On that hand is it worth getting a tower speaker? Would a better entry level system just have some decent mid to high bookshelves with a good sub?

Yes, set the x-over to 80 hz. Check out the Audyssey FAQ. There is a section in it about why you should set your mains to 80 hz and let the sub do the heavy lifting. It will give you better results that way.

Tower vs. bookshelf....that's personal preference. There are plenty of more than capable bookshelf speakers out there. If you want to mount them on a wall or set them on a shelf in your entertainment stand, they are fine. You can use stands to raise them to the desired height to set them in the floor if you like. Me personally, I prefer towers. It's just not necessary to purchase towers that have multiple "subs" in them, as they will never reproduce the low frequencies with any authority like a real subwoofer will and you will cross them at 80 hz anyways. I know Polk adds "subs" as you go up their model lines, but you would be better served sticking with the entry level model and just upgrading to a higher series and getting a better sub.

Hope this helps.

Edit: here is the link for the Audyssey info: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-1295.html#c1

Read the whole section about crossovers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, set the x-over to 80 hz. Check out the Audyssey FAQ. There is a section in it about why you should set your mains to 80 hz and let the sub do the heavy lifting. It will give you better results that way.

Tower vs. bookshelf....that's personal preference. There are plenty of more than capable bookshelf speakers out there. If you want to mount them on a wall or set them on a shelf in your entertainment stand, they are fine. You can use stands to raise them to the desired height to set them in the floor if you like. Me personally, I prefer towers. It's just not necessary to purchase towers that have multiple "subs" in them, as they will never reproduce the low frequencies with any authority like a real subwoofer will and you will cross them at 80 hz anyways. I know Polk adds "subs" as you go up their model lines, but you would be better served sticking with the entry level model and just upgrading to a higher series and getting a better sub.

Hope this helps.

Edit: here is the link for the Audyssey info: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-1295.html#c1

Read the whole section about crossovers.
That does help! Thanks! It kinda makes me regret the way I picked out tower speakers though! Haha. That's my fault though. More emphasis on mids and highs next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts