AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my older Sony STR-DB 930 to something more current. I'm liking the Onkyo TX-NR807. I've seen it varying in price via Bing from $629 to $1040. My budget was $500 but I'll stretch it to get a good receiver. I like the internet capability since I use Pandora a lot. Really after onboard decoding of the new formats. My Sammy 2500 blu-ray can do it internally but I only have 5.1 channels, not the 7.1 I'd like. Plus with the analog conversion the Sammy really can't balance speakers correctly.

Anyway, open to suggestions, and any tips for a great deal would be much appreciated. Refurb's are OK too...

Sorry typo in the header, should be tx-nr807...

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
You may be able to find the Onkyo RC180 for a few bucks less than the 807. Its basically the 807 with some features removed - and a few less watts. It has the same internet capability.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, I have the Onkyo 180 and it does everything you want. Can often be had in the $650 range online.

·
Registered
355 Posts
More of a theory than an answer for you...

If you already have pandora through your blu-ray why not get something in your price range, you don't need 2 devices that can do pandora... I know you said your blu-ray only outputs 5.1, can't you just let the receiver use Dolby PLIIx to bump it up to 7.1 channels. Personally I just listen to Pandora in 2.1 (thats what my blu-ray send it out as), since my left and right speakers are the only decent speakers I own.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tend to keep my audio equipment for a long time, and don't want to be lacking something if my Sammy bites the dust as they are prone to do. Would rather have more options on the BR replacement. That's why I'd rather have the receiver do the work.

I've been considering the 180 but from the pricing I've found when the 807 has deals the difference is small. It just looks like the deals are lacking at the moment. I could go with either and be happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts