AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Panasonic V10 today along with a BD80 player and replaced my old 360 with an HDMI Arcade version. All of this is hooked up to my 905.

Now this is weird; regardless of whether I have resolution set to Through, Auto, 720p or 1080p in the Onkyo, when I switch from one HDMI input to another, the video will sometimes not display. I hear the audio, but instead of video, I just get a flashing screen full of white noise. Sometimes if I go back into the 905 setup menu and switch to 720p from Auto, then the picture will return. I was thinking it may be a processing problem with the 905, but this even happens when the setting is set to Through, which should not apply any upscaling at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I solve? I'm using 1.3a HDMI cables from Monoprice.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, found out something interesting. The Panasonic BD80 player is fine whenever I switch to it. It just works. Also, if I set the 905 to output 720p and just 720p, then I can switch between all devices without problems.

So, there appears to be some sort of handshake problem with the Verizon FIOS cable box, the Xbox 360 and the Onkyo 905. Perhaps the Panasonic doesn't like the 905 and the 360 or Fios box either??? Any suggestions as to what to try next?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another observation; the Onkyo doesn't like the 360 when it's set to 1080p. It will work no problem with 480p, 720p, or 1080i from the 360. The minute you switch the 360 to 1080p, the Onkyo loses video. It begins to flash, and all I see is snow.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
I had a similar problem with an SC885 - very similar to the 905 and the same video processing chips. It took about 2 weeks to go totally TU. I had it replaced by Onkyo and have since sold the 885.

When the chip went totally bad it displayed green and pink bars - quite nice if you don't expect to see anything else - I did. Video switching was extremely slow even with the replacement unit. I now use the HDMI directly into my tv and use an Emotiva LMC-1 for audio preamp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called Onkyo this morning. Looks like the 905 will have to go back to United Radio due to a faulty HDMI board. Also, they will need to fix whatever is causing the E2PROM error. This is the last Onkyo I ever purchase...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts