AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2611 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
With the Denon x8500h out with 13 channels, and Onkyo prob about to follow up with their own 13 channel receiver, is this even worth talking about anymore? Hopefully Onkyo's new flagship will have full hdmi 2.1

·
Premium Member
87,998 Posts
With the Denon x8500h out with 13 channels, and Onkyo prob about to follow up with their own 13 channel receiver, is this even worth talking about anymore? Hopefully Onkyo's new flagship will have full hdmi 2.1
With the HDMI 2.1 test specs delayed and not to be released until Q1-Q3 of this year, I would be very surprised if any HDMI 2.1 units from the factory are released this year.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
With the HDMI 2.1 test specs delayed and not to be released until Q1-Q3 of this year, I would be very surprised if any HDMI 2.1 units from the factory are released this year.
The manufacturers prob have insider knowledge prior to the release.. however, you're prob right.. it's a bit rushed... i am not in a hurry though.. i want to wait till the formats or bandwidth at least is high enough for my next purchse to last a few years into the future...

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,104 (Edited)
It's still relevant to those who will never need/want more than 11 channels.

The manufacturers prob have insider knowledge prior to the release.. however, you're prob right.. it's a bit rushed... i am not in a hurry though.. i want to wait till the formats or bandwidth at least is high enough for my next purchse to last a few years into the future...
It's been two years since I started this thread and over 15 months since the 1100/3100 began shipping. Although many have made purchase decisions...you, I and many others have not. In my case, the 2016 Onkyo flagship offerings fell short of meeting my needs, wants, and expectations...as well as 2017 offerings from others. In the meantime, other products (8012 & 8500) came a bit closer to checking the boxes for me but still have shortcomings...HDMI 2.1 being a major one. The 8500 is pushing/expanding the feature envelope at its MSRP but lacking HDMI 2.1 out of the box is a bit nagging. It's likely we will need to wait yet another model year before HDMI 2.1 is standardized. And as you have pointed out, there are those who are patient enough to wait for the new features and technology and ultimately also benefit from MSRP moderation. Having waited this long, I too am likely to wait a bit longer and hopefully see Onkyo return to its roots of producing more competitive "leading" edge products. And as an alternative while waiting, I may just consider a 920 for a temporary solution at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a 3100, 8012, or 8500....hmmm.

Reactions: coolgeek

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if you're responding to my info request but at $4k, 1100/3100(especially at heavy discounts) are still on the radar for me.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,106
Is there a full 15-band per-channel/user adjustable eq and is it part of the accueq calibration or can it be stacked?
Can you configure multiple eq preset options that can be toggled via remote?

I'm very familiar with Pioneer (own a SC-91 and replaced a SC-89 w the Denon) and have had a little experience setting up my brothers RZ900 with the older accuEQ which if I recall allows you to stack a 10-12band eq but is limited to a choice of 5-bands only.

Any info here greatly appreciated
bump on this info please

basically need to know if 1100/3100 have an adjustable eq(on top of accueq), # of controllable bands and if there are eq presets.

thx
It appears that owners to this point may not know the answer to your question. And although @OnkyoUSA periodically visits this forum and posts in these threads, I haven't seen his/her presence as of late. Perhaps posting in Onkyo's Support Forum would garner responses from their technical folks.

http://forum.onkyousa.com/

·
Registered
18 Posts
bump on this info please

basically need to know if 1100/3100 have an adjustable eq(on top of accueq), # of controllable bands and if there are eq presets.

thx
Okay, I’ll see if I can help you. I recently got an 1100 to replace an 818 in the Onkyo exchange program. There are 3 presets of 15 bands but you can adjust only 9. Each speaker in the system is adjustable individually. And you can enable the presets while accueq is on or off. You can choose which preset to use on each input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, I’ll see if I can help you. I recently got an 1100 to replace an 818 in the Onkyo exchange program. There are 3 presets of 15 bands but you can adjust only 9. Each speaker in the system is adjustable individually. And you can enable the presets while accueq is on or off. You can choose which preset to use on each input.
Perfect - exactly what I need to know and great to hear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It's still relevant to those who will never need/want more than 11 channels.

It's been two years since I started this thread and over 15 months since the 1100/3100 began shipping. Although many have made purchase decisions...you, I and many others have not. In my case, the 2016 Onkyo flagship offerings fell short of meeting my needs, wants, and expectations...as well as 2017 offerings from others. In the meantime, other products (8012 & 8500) came a bit closer to checking the boxes for me but still have shortcomings...HDMI 2.1 being a major one. The 8500 is pushing/expanding the feature envelope at its MSRP but lacking HDMI 2.1 out of the box is a bit nagging. It's likely we will need to wait yet another model year before HDMI 2.1 is standardized. And as you have pointed out, there are those who are patient enough to wait for the new features and technology and ultimately also benefit from MSRP moderation. Having waited this long, I too am likely to wait a bit longer and hopefully see Onkyo return to its roots of producing more competitive "leading" edge products. And as an alternative while waiting, I may just consider a 920 for a temporary solution at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a 3100, 8012, or 8500....hmmm.
You're absolutely spot on... Anyone who upgrade ANYTHING (be it projectors, tvs, players, receivers, etc) will find them obsolete... it's good money thrown out the window...

For me, the next upgrade path would be Projector, (add 4 more speakers for atmos), and a new receiver... and possibly a new 4K player..

So, I think 2019 may be the year that they sort of get their S* together in the format department and the technology comes together..

HDMI 2.1 is high on my list because it's a huge jump up in bandwidth (48gbps vs the 18gbps in the 2.0b)... that's up to 8K content at 60fps, which will ensure that content wise, whatever they throw at us in the next 5-8 years, you'll have at least the bandwidth to cater to...

Another feature for me is 13 channel amps.. why? Right now, I am running a compromised 7.1.4 (4 atmos speakers) which is great for 1 row, but compromised for the 2nd row which only gets ceiling speakers in front of them but not at the back of them...

and last, the projector must be a 4K Laser... but those are at least USD 12K (street pricing) for the new sony VW885,... and another year or two will give them the ability to add in hdmi 2.1 and support for almost everything 4k to come (hdr 10+, 120fps, bt2020, etc, etc)... and even probably bring the price down...

with that next upgrade, I'll be good for the next 5 years at least... :D

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
bump on this info please

thx

Perhaps it is time to download a copy of the user manual and take a look? ;)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The equalizer on the Onkyo needs self adjustment. I would have preferred that the Accu-EQ calibrated this much like Pioneer's MCACC system does.

As it stands I don't know how you are supposed to adjust the equalizer settings without the receiver sending out test tones to the individual speaker at the specific frequencies measuring the volume with a sound level meter? You can't just randomly adjust the equalizer setings out of the blue. How is this supposed to work?

Or is the equalization being done at these frequencies without any way off seeing the calibrated results? Example after MCACC with Pioneer products you could see all adjustments made by the MCACC calibration.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The equalizer on the Onkyo needs self adjustment. I would have preferred that the Accu-EQ calibrated this much like Pioneer's MCACC system does.

As it stands I don't know how you are supposed to adjust the equalizer settings without the receiver sending out test tones to the individual speaker at the specific frequencies measuring the volume with a sound level meter? You can't just randomly adjust the equalizer setings out of the blue. How is this supposed to work?

Or is the equalization being done at these frequencies without any way off seeing the calibrated results? Example after MCACC with Pioneer products you could see all adjustments made by the MCACC calibration.
I could be wrong, but I think you would use the manual equalizer after you do room calculations with a different tool.

Once you know the frequencies that need amplification and attenuation, you set those with the equalizers.

I guess the question I have is: do the Onkyo receivers setup the equalizes in the background (And don't let you see the settings) as part of the AccuEQ process?

-T

·
Registered
545 Posts
RZ1100 out of stock?

Anyone have insight as to why the rz1100 seems to be out of stock everywhere?

Also - how does the amps in the 920 compare to the ones in the 1100? I saw sound and visions test on the rz1100 and like that it can put out 103 watts with 7 channels driven. Pretty rare for an avr. Does the 920 have a shot at that? I tend to think it doesn't given that it weighs a bit less. I am coming from a 1009 and I am happy with its output (86.1 watts with 7 channels driven).

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,116
I wasn't aware that availability was an issue. I've only noticed downward pricing adjustments on the 1100 and more so on the 3100. This is always driven by demand and sales numbers. Perhaps Onkyo realizes what competitors are offering from a features and value perspective and is attemping to move replacement pieces forward.

Also - how does the amps in the 920 compare to the ones in the 1100? I saw sound and visions test on the rz1100 and like that it can put out 103 watts with 7 channels driven. Pretty rare for an avr. Does the 920 have a shot at that? I tend to think it doesn't given that it weighs a bit less. I am coming from a 1009 and I am happy with its output (86.1 watts with 7 channels driven).
Both the 920 and the 1100 use Class D amps and likely similar if not the same power supplies. IMO, the difference between 135 and 140 watts is negligible and insignificant. And unless one is always listening at or around reference, 50 to 60 watts is more than enough. Both should handle peaks similarly. AVS member @bslep has had the 1100 and is now the owner of the 920. Perhaps he could chime in with his "real life" impressions as well.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think you would use the manual equalizer after you do room calculations with a different tool.

Once you know the frequencies that need amplification and attenuation, you set those with the equalizers.

I guess the question I have is: do the Onkyo receivers setup the equalizes in the background (And don't let you see the settings) as part of the AccuEQ process?

-T
Correct. You cannot see the results of accueq.

Looks like the manual eq can be applied on top of accueq or applied separately (I haven't measured).

·
Registered
258 Posts

I saw alots from Ebay,
seem RZ1100 has not issue as RZ920 (noise floor) and more power than RZ920
RZ1100: 48.5 lbs (22.0 kg)
RZ920: 41.9 lbs (19.0 kg)

2101 - 2120 of 2611 Posts