AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at this thing. I recently bought an onkyo 3200 system package. The receiver for this is the 307. I read some good reviews on it before I made the purchase. However, now that i have it, I've been reading some views here that make me think that I should have gotten a higher model...now I'm really getting confused...can anyone in here give me any insights on this..or just tell me that I made a good purchase...haha....thanks

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yeah, with the 307 being Onkyo's lowest level AVR, it doesn't have much for features. No lossless decoding and no multi channel inputs for decoded analog lossless either. No room correction either, if I'm not mistaken.

What do you need it to do? What do you have for sources? Blu-Ray or just DVD?

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaE /forum/post/17044068

I'm new at this thing. I recently bought an onkyo 3200 system package. The receiver for this is the 307. I read some good reviews on it before I made the purchase. However, now that i have it, I've been reading some views here that make me think that I should have gotten a higher model...now I'm really getting confused...can anyone in here give me any insights on this..or just tell me that I made a good purchase...haha....thanks

If you are new at this...Sit back and enjoy your Onkyo 3200. I can't say it enough, enjoy it, and don't read AVS and second guess. IF you do, pretty soon you will want to replace everything you have in your home theater and nothing will be good enough and you will start to believe anything under $2000 is not that good. If you had gotten the 507 receiver then they would have said you should have gotten the 607. Don't believe lies and don't believe you made a mistake. Enjoy your system. Are there differences in systems and home theater equipment? You bet. Does that mean the 3200 is crap? No Way. Read AVS and learn, just don't second guess or it could take the fun completely out of this fun hobby.

Good luck...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER /forum/post/17046068

If you are new at this...Sit back and enjoy your Onkyo 3200. I can't say it enough, enjoy it, and don't read AVS and second guess. IF you do, pretty soon you will want to replace everything you have in your home theater and nothing will be good enough and you will start to believe anything under $2000 is not that good. If you had gotten the 507 receiver then they would have said you should have gotten the 607. Don't believe lies and don't believe you made a mistake. Enjoy your system. Are there differences in systems and home theater equipment? You bet. Does that mean the 3200 is crap? No Way. Read AVS and learn, just don't second guess or it could take the fun completely out of this fun hobby.

Good luck...

haha..well, I think you're right..I should enjoy it first...as they say one should be contented with what he has for the moment...can't win 'em all. Thanks for your advice that knocked some sense in me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17044539

Yeah, with the 307 being Onkyo's lowest level AVR, it doesn't have much for features. No lossless decoding and no multi channel inputs for decoded analog lossless either. No room correction either, if I'm not mistaken.

What do you need it to do? What do you have for sources? Blu-Ray or just DVD?

well its primarily used for the ps3...as to the room correction,it has the audssey..but that's about it....but as bamavader says, I should sit back and enjoy it first...

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you are using the PS3 then you don't need lossless decoding either. The PS3 can do the decoding before sending the signal to the receiver. You must use HDMI and have the PS3 set to output PCM.

If it sounds good to you don't worry about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/17046201

If you are using the PS3 then you don't need lossless decoding either. The PS3 can do the decoding before sending the signal to the receiver. You must use HDMI and have the PS3 set to output PCM.

thanks for that...its really good, sound quality wise...plus its recession I shouldn't be too picky with these things anyway...

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/17046201

I've seen a couple reviews stating that this receiver can't handle PCM over HDMI as it doesn't handle audio. You have to have a secondary connection for audio since this is a passthrough.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy /forum/post/17046349

I've seen a couple reviews stating that this receiver can't handle PCM over HDMI as it doesn't handle audio. You have to have a secondary connection for audio since this is a passthrough.

Yep, you are correct. My bad on that one.

InnovaE, You can't do audio over HDMI with the receiver. I was wrong about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/17046417

Yep, you are correct. My bad on that one.

InnovaE, You can't do audio over HDMI with the receiver. I was wrong about that.

no prob..i knew that anyway since i'v got optical connection for the audio.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaE /forum/post/17046171

well its primarily used for the ps3...as to the room correction,it has the audssey..but that's about it....but as bamavader says, I should sit back and enjoy it first...

Thats why I was asking. You don't need lossless decoding with a PS3, but it doesn't matter anyway as the 307 is just HDMI pass through.

I would just hook up an optical connection and enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17049886

Thats why I was asking. You don't need lossless decoding with a PS3, but it doesn't matter anyway as the 307 is just HDMI pass through.

okay, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17049886

By the way, will I be missing a lot if my audio doesn't come from an HDMI connection but from an optical connection? Sorry for this question but as I've said earlier, I'm a newbie. Any answer would be appreciated since I'm really having a hard time understanding a few things about this stuff.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaE /forum/post/17058291

By the way, will I be missing a lot if my audio doesn't come from an HDMI connection but from an optical connection? Sorry for this question but as I've said earlier, I'm a newbie. Any answer would be appreciated since I'm really having a hard time understanding a few things about this stuff.

Optical supports everything except the newer HD audio formats which are found on blu ray. If you do watch a blu ray on the PS3 it will send the the DD or DTS signal through optical as normal. Whether you could tell a difference, maybe, maybe not but it wouldn't be substantial, especially using HTIB speakers. You got a very good system for the price that sounds like it's capable of doing everything you need. You could sink more money into a system with a receiver capable of decoding HD audio and the only thing I can say for sure about that is you'd have less money in your pocket after doing so. As others have said, enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/17058314

Optical supports everything except the newer HD audio formats which are found on blu ray. If you do watch a blu ray on the PS3 it will send the the DD or DTS signal through optical as normal. Whether you could tell a difference, maybe, maybe not but it wouldn't be substantial, especially using HTIB speakers. You got a very good system for the price that sounds like it's capable of doing everything you need. You could sink more money into a system with a receiver capable of decoding HD audio and the only thing I can say for sure about that is you'd have less money in your pocket after doing so. As others have said, enjoy it.

Thanks, that was nicely said!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.