AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thanks for reading. I bought a Onkyo TX-SR606 yesterday and hooked it up to my Sony BDP-350. I thought that the Onkyo would broadcast the Sony Blueray in True HD, but when I switch through the different inputs the True HD light never comes on. The red DTS light comes on when the input is on Neo:6 though even though I only have 5.1 surround.

Does anyone know how I can get the receiver to broadcast my Blueray player in True HD?

Also I hooked the FM antenna up in the back of the receiver and am only getting 2 stereo speakers to run with it. The Subwoofer and surround don't work with the radio?

Also I hooked up my X-Box 360 to the component with an optical cable since its a older model and doesn't have HDMI but can not get surround sound for that either. Only the 2 stereo speakers and subwoofer works with no option to change to surround.

Thanks for your help as this is all new to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
On the blu-ray player , you have to change settings, off the top of my head, I can't remember the exact one, but I think one of them has to to do with the HDMI, then the settings of each individual movie has to be change, it doesn't default to True-HD, you have to go to language or setup.

And the receiver, has to be set up on direct. I hope that points you in the right direction. If all fails, Onkyo has good, support, I bought my receiver from Cruthfield and they have lifetime support and even Sony can help you with set up on your BD350, I have the same receiver and blu ray player as you.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf1033 /forum/post/15422715

Hello thanks for reading. I bought a Onkyo TX-SR606 yesterday and hooked it up to my Sony BDP-350. I thought that the Onkyo would broadcast the Sony Blueray in True HD, but when I switch through the different inputs the True HD light never comes on. The red DTS light comes on when the input is on Neo:6 though even though I only have 5.1 surround.

I am a bit confused here. Neo:6 is a decoder, not an input.

Something you should know, though. There are more or less three broad categories of audio over PCM. Bitstream (like TrueHD,) MPCM, and two channel PCM. You need to make sure the 350 is set it output bitstream, or you won't get TrueHD to your Onkyo. If the 350 is set to output MPCM, it will decode TrueHD (but maybe not DTS-HD Master Audio, I forget.)

If you are only getting two channels of information, you are most likely getting only two channel PCM. That can happen if your receiver is set to output HDMI to your TV. Make sure your receiver is set such that audio is not output to the TV.

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can get the receiver to broadcast my Blueray player in True HD?

Set the player to output bitstream

Quote:
Also I hooked the FM antenna up in the back of the receiver and am only getting 2 stereo speakers to run with it. The Subwoofer and surround don't work with the radio?

In general, the subwoofer should be used for bass. To get surround sound, you need to activate a surround sound decoder like Dolby Pro Logic II. See your manual.

Quote:
Also I hooked up my X-Box 360 to the component with an optical cable since its a older model and doesn't have HDMI but can not get surround sound for that either. Only the 2 stereo speakers and subwoofer works with no option to change to surround.

Make sure the XBox 360 is set to output Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
198 Posts
also, in the blu ray setup, if you have the opton in your player, make sure secondary audio is set to off. note, some blu ray discs only output lossless audio as pcm. if so, you would not get confirmation readings on the face plate.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
This is really basic, but I've seen it come up. Make sure you're selecting the TrueHD audio from the movie menu. A lot of movies default to using the regular DD track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.