AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the market for a new receiver and would appreciate some input. First off I'm looking to spend something relatively close to ~$400. The other stipulation is that I will be purchasing the unit from amazon (I have a gift certificate that will cover the majority of the cost).

My setup currently consists of the following:

Panasonic - TH-50PX77U 720p 50 plasma

Charter - HD cable box

Oppo - 981? Upconvert DVD player

PS3 - soon to be added

Polk Audio - Monitor 60 floor standing speakers

Polk Audio - CS2 center channel

Cerwing Vega - ancient 12 powered sub (soon to be updated)

Right now I'm currently running an ancient Pioneer receiver that desperately needs to be upgraded. I'd like to purchase a receiver that has HDMI capability (preferably switching), and that has adequate power for the floor standing speakers. I have a set of old bookshelf speakers so I could run a 5.1 setup, but I'm happy w/ the 3.1 setup now (and I don't have to run wires in the floor).

Right now I'm leaning toward the Onkyo TX-SR606. It's in the price range I'm looking for and has all the latest and greatest HDMI capability. The thing is that I'm not sure that I necessarily need it. At most I can't imagine that I'd ever have more than 2-3 HD sources that would run through HDMI. I was thinking it may be better if I try to locate a older model Onkyo/Yamaha/HK/Marantz/Pioneer/Denon that will still handle an HDMI source or two, but will be better musically if that makes sense (I'd also like the option of pre-outs if I ever decide to upgrade to a dedicated amp). I don't have any brand loyalty, so that's not an issue.

What is my best option, stick with the TX-SR606, or try to pick up a slight older discounted model. What is your opinion on buying open box units from amazon? I assume that if they are backed by amazon's return policy it shouldn't be a big deal but I really don't know.

Please don't recommend a receiver that's supplied by a vendor other than what's available through amazon. I have the gift certificate, so there's no reason I'd choose another vendor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And for your reference. Here's a couple of the receivers that caught my eye:

Yamaha RX-V861BL - $400 (new)

Onkyo TX-SR705 - $400 (open box)/$450 (new)

Denon AVR-1908 - $385 (new)

HK AVR-347 - $520 (new) a little more than I'd like to spend

HK AVR-247 -

·
Registered
416 Posts
I personally would avoid the 606 at any cost, especially with a PS3 heading your way. Myself and many others have a buzzing noise over HDMI when passing 1080p and HD audio material that is really, really annoying. I've gone through two with the same results. Visit this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1026622

and do a search for "buzz" or "hum" and you'll get many complaints and descriptions of the problem. We have done so much troubleshooting it's not even funny, with all signs pointing to a problem in the design of the Onkyo's HDMI section. Their tech support has also been utterly useless. Have you looked at the Yamaha 663? People seem to be relatively happy with it, and you could probably find it on sale somewhere for close to what you are budgeting. I myself am going for the Pioneer 1018 which sounds really nice, though at $599 or so it seems to be outside your price range. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have passed by a couple threads "buzz" problem, but I haven't done any detailed research. I'll dig into it today.

I also forgot to mention the Yamaha on my list. As I see it, it looks like direct competition to the Onkyo and can be had for ~$400.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is frustrating... The more research I do, the more I confuse myself. I'm now leaning toward the following:

Marantz SR4002

Denon AVR788

Both are in my price range, and they both appear to be HDMI 1.3 capable, and have as many inputs as I need (I don't mind adding a switch at a later date if I need to). I also know that Denon and Marantz make high quality equipment and I'm getting scared off the Onkyo because of the overheating issues.

This is turning into any electronics purchase I ever make; I always start off w/ a clear favorite until I do a bunch of research which just confuses me.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds /forum/post/14285125

Have you looked at the Yamaha 663? People seem to be relatively happy with it, and you could probably find it on sale somewhere for close to what you are budgeting.

The 606 can be a problem for the PS3 users..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This forum is really a wealth of information. After hours and hours of researching I decided on the Onkyo TX-SR705. I got a pretty good deal on an open-box unit that still maintains a full manufacturer warranty.

The main reason I chose this over the 606 is the preamps and the upgraded EQ's. The HDMI port quantity isn't super important to me at this point, so I think the 705 should be fine. I tried to find an equivalent from another manufacturer, but couldn't find anything close to the value of the 705.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just wanted to chime in. I have been using an onkyo 606 with my PS3 for over a month now and have never noticed any kind of buzzing or humming - FWIW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts