AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 receiver. I am getting some closed screw type banana plugs from monoprice and am trying to figure out how to connect them to the receiver. Will the plugs actually fit into the speaker wire hole? The hole and the connector (at least from the picture on monoprice) looks to be different sizes. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylonrobert /forum/post/16947673

I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 receiver. I am getting some closed screw type banana plugs from monoprice and am trying to figure out how to connect them to the receiver. Will the plugs actually fit into the speaker wire hole? The hole and the connector (at least from the picture on monoprice) looks to be different sizes. Thanks in advance!

Your older receiver might be different. But the current Onkyo receivers have binding posts that take bare wire from the side, and banana plugs from the front, at least for the two main front speakers. The banana plug is a standard size.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16947738

Your older receiver might be different. But the current Onkyo receivers have binding posts that take bare wire from the side, and banana plugs from the front, at least for the two main front speakers. The banana plug is a standard size.

Here's a picture of the back:

To place the wire, you lift open the tab and put in the bare wire. The hole is rather small, and looks to be smaller than the banana plug size, yet the Onkyo product page says it is Dual Banana Plug compatible. I guess I'd have to buy dual banana plug sets for the back?

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Those are spring clips. They are designed to take bare wire. If you want to use connectors, you'll need pin connectors like the one in the following link.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

However, the spacing on your connectors look very close together, so the connectors will probably bump into each other and there might not be enough space. I would recommend using bare wire, or look for crimp on style connectors instead which tend to be a lot less bulky. Unfortunately, we don't have that type currently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts