AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, 1st time post, I need help from you guys that know what your talking about. 1st off I'm picking up my new Samsung 5265 today. I've narrowed my receiver down to the Onkyo tx-sr505 or 605. I'm on a tight budget also. I know that the 505 is hdmi pass thru only. So thought I had to get the 605. I'll be buying Polk rm20,rm6700,rm6750,rm6800,or rm6880 not sure on that yet. Also I'll only be useing a ps3 and dish hd receiver only. The guy at CC told me I can use the 505 because my tv has 3 hdmi inputs. Just run the ps3 and sat receiver straight to tv via hdmi and use optical from ps3 and sat to the 505 for audio. I was happy I had that solved plus my receiver wouldn't have to be on to run tv. Then I get home and find out by reading posts that no you can't. I'ts one or the other. Hdmi only or Dvi and optical. Am I reading this right. Also I learned that optical is only 5.1 which don't matter to me. Thats all I'll use anyways. I will never use everything that the 605 offers. I guess my question is will I lose anything by not useing the hdmi 1.3. Please help me out I'm getting a headache over this. thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
The setup you are describing is what I have at home. HDMI directly to the TV from my cable box and optical cable from cable box to 505. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gtcharlie, Thanks alot for the info. This sure makes up my mind now. I'm going for the Onkyo tx-sr 505 then. Got my new sammy 5265 yesterday and I'm in total awe over the picture and it isn't even hooked up to hd yet. Dish will be coming with new receiver friday can't wait. Now I got that out of the way, time to shop for a receiver and speakers. thanks again.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
You are running everything correctly even though I can't imagine you wanting to EVER listen to anything through your TV's speakers. That's like owning a convertible and not putting the top down on a sunny spring day. Almost 100% of HD broadcast is in 5.1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy, Thanks for your reply also. Your absolutly right about watching tv through the tv speakers. Its nice to have that option though, 95% of the time I would use the surround sound but I don't need to listen to the news, weather, ect in surround sound.Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts