AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

So after about 4 1/2 years of no issues, my receiver died. But how it happened is too coincidental to not think it is related...so, I figured i would ask:

Is it possible that something like a cable box refresh from my provider (Comcast) could have caused my received to die?

Here's the story. I was on the phone with Comcast after my wife and I purchased a new tv and brought home a new HD box. After hooking everything up, after almost a full day, the menu had not loaded all of the channel information and many channels were still showing messages like "not authorized". I called Comcast, and I suspect during troubleshooting, a signal refresh was sent (I had to provide the S/N of my new HD box to the tech). During this time, my wife started freaking out upstairs...I came upstairs, and found my Onkyo receiver smoking, no signal to my tv, and she said that she hear a loud pop sound out of my surround speakers. I quickly unplugged the power for everything for several hours, tried to plug everything back in and turn the receiver on, and heard some crackling from the main board (and this was accompanied by a burnt smell). My wife said the TV and receiver had been on for about 15 minutes, with everything appearing to be normal, before this happened.

I had an HD-DVR hooked up to my Onkyo (along with a PS3, PS2, Wii, and 5.1 speaker setup). TV connected was a 52" Mitsubishi (I think the model is LT149). I also noticed now there is a pink vertical line about 2 inches from the left side of the screen, that goes from the top to the bottom of the screen (entire height of the screen).

Now I know there is a bit of electricity that is sent through the coax cable (but very little)...and all electrical current is just 1's and 0's...but I guess what I'm trying to determine is:

1. Could anything that Comcast would have done (ie. signal refresh) have caused my receiver to sh* the bed? My HD-DVR was hooked up to my receiver via HDMI cable...maybe there was some signal sent via the coax cable that was then sent to the receiver via the HDMI cable, but it was something the receiver couldn't deal with (stretching here)?

2. Regardless of whether or not Comcast had anything to do with the receiver blowing...could my receiver blowing have caused this new "dead pixel line" down the side of my TV? I am pretty certain this appeared after my receiver blew (my cable box is now hooked up directly to my TV...and I confirmed the line is present through different inputs ie. Component from Wii and HDMI via cable box).

I have not found anything online that states either could be valid..but it is all too coincidental.

I've called Onkyo (they were less than helpful over the phone) and emailed them (have not received a response yet) to request extended warranty service, but I'm not sure at this point in which direction I should go.

Any information from past experience or expertise in this area would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think what happen is your had a bad current in your home in your room were the onkyo receiver was.I myself own this same receiver and it still work's fine.I am looking to upgrade as i am buying klipsch RF-7 II speaker's.And i need more power.Was thinking about getting a onkyo 5010.But anywho question do you have a powercondischor hooked up to all your gear.You really should buy one of these there alot of money monster make's good one.But i like panamax just because they been makeing them for decade's.Look into getting one of those.As for the line in your tv.This only happens is YES your tv was hooked up to the receiver.And to my thinking what happened was your had a bad current in your outlet too much was going on at that time.and the receiver backtracked and went to everything else.Mind you most of your gear is safe but most;y when your get a bad current the receiver should turn off.But sometime's it does not.Depend's on the buid and company's fault.But like i said most of your gear is low voltage. it's run's under 600V.So there for your gear is like grilledchesse if something like this happen's.And you dont have a power condishor.What it will do this power cond .If it see's you haveing anything over 220 or higer it's will turn your stuff off and intill the pwer in that room in your how is back to 120 volt's.It turn's back on.Any way's i am sorry if my spelling is crap.Spelling is my weakpoint.But if i was in person face to face trust me you will understand me better.I got to school for stuff like this.Hope this helped and if you got anmore question feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the response. But this begs the question: why did this happen out of nowhere, after working fine for years?

While I do not have a power conditioner, I do have a surge protector with everything hooked up to it. I'll look into power conditioners...I would like to make sure that my gear is protected, so if this will help prevent things like this from happening, then it is certainly worth it.

'Do you think the cable box could have had anything to do with this, though?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I dont think it was the cable box really.You know thing's like this just happen.And sometime's it's hard to find out why it just hapen;s out of the blue.It's like when nasa send's a rocket into space and it blow's up when it's in teh sky these thing's are alway's tried to no happen but one's in a blue it does happen.Just the way tec is really and the way man made tec to be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So onkyo finally got back to me and it does not look like they are going to approve my request for repairing my unit. Now I'm looking for a new receiver ( not onkyo)... anyone have experience with Yamaha? The rx v375 got pretty good reviews, and seems to have a comparable feature set to my dead tx sr507. How do you think the v375 ( or even v475) compares to my old onkyo?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B981F38?vs=1

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123  /t/1518617/onkyo-tx-sr507-died-looking-for-advice#post_24425037

So onkyo finally got back to me and it does not look like they are going to approve my request for repairing my unit. Now I'm looking for a new receiver ( not onkyo)... anyone have experience with Yamaha? The rx v375 got pretty good reviews, and seems to have a comparable feature set to my dead tx sr507. How do you think the v375 ( or even v475) compares to my old onkyo?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B981F38?vs=1

I don't own any Yamaha AVR, but it seems that the build quality is a bit better than Denon/Marantz/Onkyo these days. Give AVS a call to see if you can get a deal on the 375 or 475. You can also take a look at Accessories4less. They sell refurbished units but you can climb a few rungs on the performance ladder and purchase their extended warranty for similar money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64  /t/1518617/onkyo-tx-sr507-died-looking-for-advice#post_24425114

I don't own any Yamaha AVR, but it seems that the build quality is a bit better than Denon/Marantz/Onkyo these days. Give AVS a call to see if you can get a deal on the 375 or 475. You can also take a look at Accessories4less. They sell refurbished units but you can climb a few rungs on the performance ladder and purchase their extended warranty for similar money.

Thanks for the reply! I've done a bit more research and at it looks like the 475 has substantially more features than the 375 (and the quality of the build is much better). I'm going to continue researching to see if I can find anything comparable to or better than the 475, and if not, I will probably go with that. Thanks again

Mike

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
To equal the Onkyo (all binding posts) series probably looking at Yamaha 57x series. I have a 671 btw

Lower end Yamahas have spring clips

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do you like you're Yamaha avr? have you ever owned an onkyo? I've only ever owned that sr507 so I really can't compare it to anything from personal experience.

Really what I need is about 4 hdmi inputs (right now i have a 52" mitsubishi lcd, ps3, and cable.box, and I occasionally hook up my laptop), 2 component inputs ( for ps2 and wii), enough juice to power my energy front/ center speakers, wireless surrounds, and bic pl200 sub, front audio input for playing ie xm radio (id prefer rca but the yamahas have 3.5mm input), and that's about all. wireless capabilities would be nice without having to purchase additional hardware but not mandatory. can't really think of anything else that I need...

one thing I did notice about the 475 over the 375 is the support of many more codecs...I need pro logic for ie. wii since native support for dd isn't there. I will check out the 500 series also.

Thanks again

·
Registered
495 Posts
I knowyou a little upset with what just happened to your receiver.And i just got right now on one call for 650 the guy name's partick.Gave me a fantastic deal on the onlyo TX-NR818 got it for $650 shipped to my door.I got this receiver because it has all the bell's you need's down the road.And for the price tag i could not say no.I am going to be useing them with my RF-7 II from klipsch.almos tgot the money for my setup.around summer time i am going to buy.I am telling you this because i feel it was not you nor the receiver you had from onnkyo.These thing's happen soetime out of the blue.It's not very veyr high but i have seen this happen.I would give onkyo another shot.The TX-NR818 IS A FANTASTIC RECEIVER!!!.Just go on onkyo website and take a look at the spec's.It's a 2012 receiver .But i feel year does not make anything of a difference.At the end of the day it's how we take care of are HT gear.And from what you told me it sound's like you know how to take care of you stuff no matter what happened to you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks again to all who replied. I'm still researching and have not made a decision yet, but your posts have been very helpful and I should be able to make a choice soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts