AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved into my first house and it's everything I need and fits me perfectly. My girlfriend has decided to treat me to a new 60" plasma for the living room for the holidays. And I definitely want to upgrade to an av receiver that has hdmi capabilities. I was only looking to spend up to $300 and thought the TX-SR508 was perfect. I love all the specs about it and it fits my hdmi needs perfectly. The 7.1 is a plus as it gives me room (and reason) to purchase more speakers. Unfortunately, I've been reading reviews of people saying how their units have been cutting out and some eventually killing over in a matter of months. I've been running an AIWA from some 10+ years ago and it still sounds great for what it is. I don't want to invest in something that's going to give up within the first year of owning it. Of course looking at the next step up with the 608, I've heard nothing but positive things, but it definitely is more that I need as the 508 was more than enough. I was just wondering if anyone has had a more positive experience with the 508 or should I just spend the extra on the 608 even though I'm sure I will never use it to its full potential? Or is there something else I should be looking at that performs just as well in my price range? Thanks for any and all feedback. I really appreciate it.

Keith

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Consider the Onkyo HT-RC260 which is the 608 with two features dropped. It supposedly has the same amplifier as the 608 but Onkyo did not pay for THX certification. It will not upgrade to satellite radio. It does not have PC input. If you search around, it should be close to the price that you were willing to pay for the 508.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the TX-SR508 back in July from Amazon but didn't get all my theater components hooked up and running until September. I had been using my receiver since then and started noticing problems with a screen flicker when running either the cable box or Xbox360.

While I like the sound and features of the Onkyo I am getting the feeling I bought a lemon. There will be times that I have no problems at all for a while but the flicker has been coming back with increased frequency. The only reason I went with Onkyo is that I had a previous Onkyo receiver and used it without incident for 5 years.

So, if you haven't bought already, I would advise against it at this point. I have found numerous postings online about Onkyo receivers with similar problems no matter what the model is. Until Onkyo addresses this problem definitively I would look for another brand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.