AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Onkyo TX-SR508 to replace my older Yamaha HTR-5740. I made the switch because of the lack of HDMI support on the Yamaha receiver and the good reviews for the Onkyo (especially the Zone 2 option).

Long story short I have a set of 6.1 JBL surround speakers that I purchased with the Yamaha and also have a set of 2 externally wired speakers for enjoying sound on my porch outside. This setup worked great with the Yamaha. It had an A and B switch and I could toggle them on and off or have both on with no problem. Hooked up the Onkyo last night and followed all of the instructions perfectly (labeling wires and putting them in the correct plugs for the speakers) including putting the 2 external speaker wires in the L and R clip connectors for the Front High/Zone 2 area.

The sound is great for all of the regular inside surround speakers but I cannot get any sound from the outside (Zone 2) speakers for some reason. I have read and followed the instuctions a few times and still nothing. I have not done the Audyssey speaker set up yet because I wanted to make sure all of the speakers had sound first.

I have my PS3 along with my Direct TV DVR connected HDMI to my receiver and then my receiver running HDMI to my HDTV.

If anybody knows about how to get this working I would really appreciate it. I cannot do without my outside sound if it can be helped, especially since it is already wired in and under the house.

I am not one to usually ask silly questions but this has me stumped and quite frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any advice or instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that kind of sucks. I figured it would give me the sound and not in analog. Oh well, hopefully that will work. I know I can get an Analog output for my PS3 and hook up. Short of sounding like a true newbie, what cables are considered analog? Would an optical audio cable be considered analog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I was curious because the PS3 analog cable almost looks like a component cable. So I guess I will just use this cable and only plug in the red and white to the receiver?

I have the link to the PS3 cable I am talking about but have to creat at least 3 posts to post a URL. LOL. I will send it right after this one.

Thanks for the help. I will try it this weekend and see if i can get the Zone 2 working. I am assuming I just plug the red and white right into to the receiver into the game in and also into the cable/dvr in? Sorry for the silly questions but I haven't used anything but digital cables for a while now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since posting this I have figured how to get sound out of the zone 2 speakers but I am still not happy with not being able to listen to them when using my Playstation 3. Is there any way to rig this where I can get the output from my regular inside speakers and my outside through the PS3 at the same time? It is just dissappointing not being able to have it like it was on a new receiver considering it would work on an older one. If anybody has any suggestions or workarounds I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I am in the market for a new receiver and this Onkyo is one of the candidates I am looking at. I have the same issue with the second set of speakers on my deck. I have no problem with another analog cable connection to the receiver but was wondering if a blu-ray player, for example, outputs a signal always at the composite jacks? If I had to go into the DVD player setup to change the output each time I wanted to hear a CD on my deck that would be a deal breaker. I currently have an A/B switch on my old Yamaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I could use both cables for output on the PS3 but there is a setting that lets you choose which output you want to use and I am pretty sure you have to select Audio as either HDMI or other. You can't use both on the PS3, which hinders listening to both at the same time. I will try to check it again but I am pretty sure I had it selected and it would only output to one or the other. Which kind of irritates me. There has got to be another way.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite757 /forum/post/19734879

I thought I could use both cables for output on the PS3 but there is a setting that lets you choose which output you want to use and I am pretty sure you have to select Audio as either HDMI or other. You can't use both on the PS3, which hinders listening to both at the same time. I will try to check it again but I am pretty sure I had it selected and it would only output to one or the other. Which kind of irritates me. There has got to be another way.

Hi rwhite757, the PS3 can output two cable connection simultaneously by setting "Audio Multi-Output" to On.

You can find this by going to Settings -> Sound Settings -> Audio Multi-Output.

With this enabled it may affect the BD audio playback through HDMI. But I'm not sure so play a BD disc to see what it output.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude /forum/post/19734714

I am in the market for a new receiver and this Onkyo is one of the candidates I am looking at. I have the same issue with the second set of speakers on my deck. I have no problem with another analog cable connection to the receiver but was wondering if a blu-ray player, for example, outputs a signal always at the composite jacks? If I had to go into the DVD player setup to change the output each time I wanted to hear a CD on my deck that would be a deal breaker. I currently have an A/B switch on my old Yamaha.

The Bluray player should have both outputs active.

Also, for those of you that used to use the A/B switch, you will find that using Zone 2 is much better once you get it wired properly. It is nice to have control over the volume in both locations, something an A/B switch can't do on its own!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts