AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new home theater receiver and I am hoping I can get some good advice here. I have narrowed it down to the Harman Kardon AVR-330/430 and the Onkyo TX-SR601/701. I have an Onkyo TX-DS595 that I am replacing so I can have more component video inputs as well as more power. I have the following speakers:

JBL S-Center

JBL S-38 Front

JBL S-36 Rear

JBL PB-12

I know the HK has 7.1 and the Onkyo 6.1, but I will only be using 5.1 for now (room is not big enough to warrant more speakers). Does anyone have any advice as to which one to choose over the other? Assignable Digital and Component Video inputs are must (for use with HDTV, XBOX and DVD). I will mainly be using the receiver for home heater and TV/HDTV with occasional music. I have not owned any Harman Kardon receivers, but I have had two Onkyo's with no problems. I have heard that the Onkyo receivers are better at home theater than Harman Kardon - is that true? I want to look at my options in the $400-600 range and make a good decision.

The deals I have found so far:

Onkyo TX-SR601 $399 - JandR Music World

Onkyo TX-SR701 $599 - JandR Music World

Harman Kardon AVR-330 $499 - JandR Music World

Harmak Kardon AVR-430 $559 - 6th Ave Electronics

Any advice??? I would like to make a purchase in the next few days...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am hoping to make a decision in the next few days with the help of this forum... Anyone have any advice or feedback on these receivers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Circuit City carries both of them. They have a good return policy too. Go buy them and give them a listen to see which one your ears like.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My advice is do an internet search for the TX-SR800 on google and you will find it for $549 plus shipping. At that price it kills the 601 and 701 with 100WPCx7 and THX select certification. If you are only doing 5.1 (as I am) it allows you to assign the other 2 channels to a 2nd zone.

I moved from an older HK unit (AVR35) to this and am QUITE happy with the added clarity. I also tried a HK DPR1001 from CC and while it was better than the AVR35 it still wasn't as good (probably the WPC making the difference) in my theater as the TX-SR800 is.

VERY nice unit for the money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.